Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: fried arduino  (Read 639 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I was not paying adequate attention (or wasn't thinking) and I shorted the 5 V pin to ground.  I only noticed it when the smoke appeared!   Now the 5 and 3.3 V pins are not regulated (they drift between 3 and 7 volts).  Is there a fix or is it scrap? 

David

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Depends - where are you located, and what kind of board?
Some parts are more readily replaceable than others.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Located in New England (RI) and it is a Uno (not the latest one, it runs ver 022 but less than a year old and not surface mount).

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Sounds like you need to remove/replace the 5V regulator, and possibly the 3V regulator, depending on which Rev you have - look here and see which one it is.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Located in New England (RI) and it is a Uno (not the latest one, it runs ver 022 but less than a year old and not surface mount).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but v. 022 is referring to the software. (Not sure exactly if that encompasses IDE + libraries + bootloader, or how that's arranged.) There is an R2 and and R3 Uno board. But I think you can use v. 022 or v.1 with any of those, or the original Uno. For that matter, you can put a custom bootloader in, and still use either IDE.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Correct.

"For that matter, you can put a custom bootloader in, and still use either IDE. "
Maybe - bootloader also determines the speed the serial port needs to be for downloading a sketch.

View Profile

It's a uno rev.2 with the reset button in the middle of the board (rather than the corner like rev3).  And, you are right, I meant to say that It runs software IDE version 022. 

How does one identify the failed 5 V and 3.3 V regulator components and find the correct replacement parts?  Is there a map/spec or something?

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

If it's a Uno rev 2 then if you hold the board with the barrel jack at the bottom left, the 5v regulator is the device right above the barrel jack with 3 leads on the right and a tab soldered to a heatsink pad on the left. Is that where the smoke came from?

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Where was the 5V being supplied from when you shorted it?

View Profile

Yes, the smoke (really just a lot of heat) came from (or near to) the component that you describe: 
"device right above the barrel jack with 3 leads on the right and a tab soldered to a heatsink pad on the left"

The 5 V was being taken from the 5 V pin (which sits next to are near the 3 volt pin) and until I mucked it up (and caused a short) was supplying voltage to a potentiometer which was being read by A0 (on the same side of the board as the 5 V.  AO was still attached to the pot when the incident occured (duh, lets swap the +5 and GND) so that part might be ok.

I suppose I need to look and see if I can see a part number on the regulator

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I'm surprised the device failed, regulators are usually short circuit proof.

You can find Arduino schematics and parts lists in the Hardware section of the Arduino main site.

PS - looks like it is NCP1117ST50T3G.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:56:11 pm by dc42 » Logged

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: