Go Down

Topic: Shift Register Libraries for LCD Displays (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

floresta

How do I go about powering everything off another voltage supply? Would this setup work using either a wall adapter or battery, as long as I connect all the grounds?

It wouldn't work very long with that battery.
You would have to power the Arduino somehow.
I don't see the recommended capacitor on the input side of your voltage regulator.
Not too many LCDs give a suitable display with that contrast pin circuit.
How did you manage to get two wires into one breadboard hole?

Don

celem

Consider getting a breadboard specific power supply, such as this: http://tinyurl.com/85avtt2

They are under $5 and perfect for Arduino breadboard work, specifically designed for the type of breadboard shown in your Fritzing image. You'll also need a 6-to-9 volt wall wart transformer - maybe hiding in your closet or at the local thrift store.

roachburn

I really just wanted to know if this was the right way to do it. I heard that in some cases you can have multiple voltages in a  system and you connect the grounds together. So basically the question is will the circuit short anything out. I will be using a seperate power supply for the arduino of course and the 9v can be replaced with a wall wort. I have been wanting to get a breadboard ps like that but for now i am using a voltage regulator and 2x 10uf caps with a .1 uf. Also, lets say I want to add a mosfet to power a high current device such as a solenoid. Would I also connect that ground to the circuit? Do you always connect all the grounds in these situations?

Thanks for the reply,
Anthony
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison

celem

Yes, you can use multiple power supplies, connecting the common, within reason. The Vcc should be as close to the same as you can get it, given that there will be some feedback through circuit connections, such as the Atmel chip, i/o chips, etc.

icyfyer

I have downloaded the "latest" library from Francisco's GITHUB (dated 20Aug2011) and installed it. When I go to compile your example code, I get errors related to "I2CIO.cpp", where "Wire.h" does not exist. I am using the IDE V1.0. I went through his .ccp file and noticed that it says "#include...Wire.h". Are there changes I need to make to this file in order for this to work, or should I reinstall the IDE as was suggested above by roachburn?

Go Up