Go Down

Topic: Bootloading atmega 168A-PU (Read 3623 times) previous topic - next topic

hello,
I am trying to boatload my atmega 168A-PU using arduino as ISP like this method -     http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard   . i have an Atmega 328P-PU chip on my arduino board. 

further in the arduino IDE i have selected the board as -Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328. i am able to upload the AVRISP sketch on to the arduino board... further when i try to burn bootloader on to my atmega 168 chip i get the error message

" avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.   ". how do i go about this?

Coding Badly

Select a 168 based board and then try to burn a bootloader.

ok ill try.. do i need to upload the avrisp sketch if i change my board option?

Coding Badly

Once the ArduinoISP sketch is uploaded and auto-reset is disabled you do not need to re-upload the sketch for any reason.

OK .. as said i have added a 120 ohm resistor between the reset pin and the 5 v supply.. i have selected the board as atmega nano/atmega 328... i uploaded the avrisp sketch. then i selected my board as - arduino diceimela ,Nano w /Atmega 168, and
selected burn bootloader>arduino as isp.

i get the following error message
  " avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x11
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync   "

Coding Badly

as said i have added a 120 ohm resistor between the reset pin and the 5 v supply.. i have selected the board as atmega nano/atmega 328... i uploaded the avrisp sketch

Wrong order.  Ensure the 120 ohm resistor is not connected.  Select the board you will use as a programmer.  Upload the ArduinoISP sketch.  Connect the 120 ohm resistor between +5V and RESET.  The board will now function as a programmer.

In addition, you will be well served by connecting an LED (with series resistor) to pin 9.  A "heartbeat" should be present.

i did not get the heartbeat pattern.. i got this error

"avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check."

MrGastoso

try to add the 168P signature to avrdude.txt, or modify the actual Atmega168 data

#------------------------------------------------------------
# ATmega168
#------------------------------------------------------------

part
    id              = "m168";
    desc            = "ATMEGA168";
     has_debugwire = yes;
     flash_instr   = 0xB6, 0x01, 0x11;
     eeprom_instr  = 0xBD, 0xF2, 0xBD, 0xE1, 0xBB, 0xCF, 0xB4, 0x00,
                     0xBE, 0x01, 0xB6, 0x01, 0xBC, 0x00, 0xBB, 0xBF,
                     0x99, 0xF9, 0xBB, 0xAF;
    stk500_devcode  = 0x86;
    # avr910_devcode = 0x;
    signature       = 0x1e 0x94 0x06;

to

[font=Verdana]    signature       = 0x1e 0x94 0x0b;[/font]

i did not get the heartbeat pattern.. i got this error

this check."
http://mrgastoso.blogspot.com/

the signature of my atmega 328 ( which is on my main arduino board) is 0x1e 0x95 0x0F.. and the signature of my atmega 168 ( the one to be bootloaded is 0x1e 0x94 0x0b .
the error message shows up
   "avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check."

can there be any problem with the microcontroller? what else can i try to do?

Coding Badly

i did not get the heartbeat pattern..

Re-upload the ArduinoISP sketch.  If the heartbeat is not present, the ArduinoISP sketch is not running.

ok .. i have selected my board as  Arduino Duemilanove w/ atmega328. uploaded the avrisp sketch. (Done uploading).
then i connect the 120 ohm resistor between the reset and 5v pins.  then i go to burn bootloader..to boot-load my atmega168 chip. it shows -

this check."

i am using Ubuntu does that make any difference..??

Coding Badly

I suggested connecting an LED to pin 9.  Did you do that?  Does it display a heartbeat?  Does the heartbeat ever stop?

westfw

the signature of my atmega 168 ( the one to be bootloaded is 0x1e 0x94 0x0b .
the error message shows up:   "avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F

If you're trying to burn a bootloader in a 168, and you're getting an error message that it's "expecting" a 328 signature, that means you didn't select the right "board" in the boards menu before you clicked the "burn bootloader" button.
The sequence should be:  select "nano with 328", upload Arduino ISP, disable auto-reset, connect 168 board or chip, select (one of) the 168-based boards, "burn bootloader."

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy