Go Down

Topic: 8x8 Matrix - yes, another one (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

KirAsh4

I received a test 8x8 RGB matrix, common anode.  For common cathode, Maxim has the MAX7219 which is a serial 8-Digit driver which would work beautifully.  8 segments, 8 digits = 64 LEDs.  Use three of them, one per color.  Voila.

However, for common anode, they don't seem to have a serial driver.  They have 8-digit drivers, but not serial.  They have something called 'microprocessor compatible' (ICM7218) but it's not the same.  So does anyone have a suggestion of an IC that's comparable to their MAX7219, but for common anode?

I suppose I can always tell the manufacturer to send me a different f-ing matrix. :)

KirAsh4

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?

CrossRoads

You could look into the ICM7218 or ICM7228, they are similar to the 7219 and are for common anode parts.
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/ICM7218-ICM7228.pdf

I'm pretty sure Maxim also has an application note for adding external transistors to allow MAX7219 to drive common anode vs common cathode, but I can't find it at the moment.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up