Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 8x8 Matrix - yes, another one  (Read 1091 times)
Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I received a test 8x8 RGB matrix, common anode.  For common cathode, Maxim has the MAX7219 which is a serial 8-Digit driver which would work beautifully.  8 segments, 8 digits = 64 LEDs.  Use three of them, one per color.  Voila.

However, for common anode, they don't seem to have a serial driver.  They have 8-digit drivers, but not serial.  They have something called 'microprocessor compatible' (ICM7218) but it's not the same.  So does anyone have a suggestion of an IC that's comparable to their MAX7219, but for common anode?

I suppose I can always tell the manufacturer to send me a different f-ing matrix. smiley

Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?

View Profile

http://www.rocketnumbernine.com/2010/11/11/using-the-icm7218icm7228-led-driver
offers some insight to your problem.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You could look into the ICM7218 or ICM7228, they are similar to the 7219 and are for common anode parts.
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/ICM7218-ICM7228.pdf

I'm pretty sure Maxim also has an application note for adding external transistors to allow MAX7219 to drive common anode vs common cathode, but I can't find it at the moment.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: