Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ok a LED Dice - but it's my first Arduino project! - Im proud :)  (Read 802 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey, the routine to set the digital outs is a LOT nicer than any examples I've seen!  Bare with me - Im new here :-)

// Dice by Kenn-P 11/02/2012
//
// Arrange LEDs in this pattern, 
// Either: All LEDs will need a current limiting resistor in series
// Or: Digital8, 9, 10 will need a single resistor in series with the 2 LEDs and Digital 11 will need a resistor
// half that value.
//
//  LED0 .... LED1
//  LED2 LED3 LED4
//  LED5 .... LED6
//
// Wire up like this (dont forget the resistors!)
//
// Digital8  > LED0 > LED6 > Ground
// Digital9  > LED1 > LED5 > Ground
// Digital10 > LED2 > LED4 > Ground
// Digital11 > LED3 > Ground

// See in "diceSetValue" for the definition of dicePattern" these are bit patterns for each 
// of the dice values
//1 on the dice = pattern 8 = 1000 (binary) which will set Digital 11 HIGH and 8,9,10 LOW
//2 on the dice = pattern 2 = 0010 (binary) which will set Digital 9 HIGH and 8,10,11 LOW
//3 on the dice = pattern 10 = 1010 (binary) which will set Digital 9,11 HIGH, and 8,10 LOW
// ..
//6 on the dice = pattern 7 = 0111 (binary) which will set 8,9,10 HIGH and 11 LOW

//please note this could be extended to a seven sided die by changing the line mentioned above
//to "byte dicePattern[]={8,2,10,3,11,7,15}";
//and changing "if (v<6) {"  below to "if (v<7) {" but this does add two bytes to the final codesize ;-)
//

byte diceValue; // last legal dice value

// set the digital pins to OUTPUT, set the default dice value
void setup() {
  for (byte i=8; i<12; pinMode(i++,OUTPUT));
  diceSetValue(1);
}

// this function (if the value passed to it is valid) decodes the appropriate pattern and sets the digital pins accordingly
void diceSetValue(byte v) {
  const byte dicePattern[]={8,2,10,3,11,7};   
  v--; //arrays are zero indexed
  if (v<6) {
    byte dP=dicePattern[v];   //get the pattern into a temp variable

for (byte dOut=8; dOut<12; dOut++) {  // Loop throught Digital 8 to Digital 11
      digitalWrite(dOut, (dP &1));        // Set current Digital output according to the temp patterns lowest bit
      dP=dP >>1;                          // Shift the temp pattern to the right
    }                                     // and repeat for the next digital output

diceValue=v+1;  //Store the dice value, if the function is called with an invalid value then this variable gets left as it was.
  }
}

// Simple test
void loop(){
  // as a test, simply step through the values 1 to 6, pausing between each
  for (byte i=1; i<7; i++){
    diceSetValue(i);
    delay(200); //wow adding the delay library adds 190 bytes to the codesize!
  }
}

Czech Republic
View Profile

Wow, that's a nice algorithm you have there. It has the ingeniousness i admire. ( for example: for (byte i=8; i<12; pinMode(i++,OUTPUT)); is a nice one) Makes the code short. Also the idea to use bytes to store the value is pretty neat.

View Profile

Thanks :-)  I've been programming for quite a number of years, originally on the 6502 machines but more recently in Delphi.  It's quite nice to have to worry about code-size again (not to mention learning a new language - I never really took a shine to C).

A couple of tweeks:

Code:
// Dice by Kenn-P 11/02/2012
//
// Arrange LEDs in this pattern,
// Either: All LEDs will need a current limiting resistor in series
// Or: Digital8, 9, 10 will need a single resistor in series with the 2 LEDs and Digital 11 will need a resistor
// half that value.
//
//  LED0 .... LED1
//  LED2 LED3 LED4
//  LED5 .... LED6
//
// Wire up like this (dont forget the resistors!)
//
// Digital8  > LED0 > LED6 > Ground
// Digital9  > LED1 > LED5 > Ground
// Digital10 > LED2 > LED4 > Ground
// Digital11 > LED3 > Ground

// See in "diceSetValue" for the definition of dicePattern" these are bit patterns for each
// of the dice values
//1 on the dice = pattern 8 = 1000 (binary) which will set Digital 11 HIGH and 8,9,10 LOW
//2 on the dice = pattern 2 = 0010 (binary) which will set Digital 9 HIGH and 8,10,11 LOW
//3 on the dice = pattern 10 = 1010 (binary) which will set Digital 9,11 HIGH, and 8,10 LOW
// ..
//6 on the dice = pattern 7 = 0111 (binary) which will set 8,9,10 HIGH and 11 LOW

//please note this could be extended to a seven sided die by changing the line mentioned above
//to "byte dicePattern[]={8,2,10,3,11,7,15}";
//and changing "if (v<6) {"  below to "if (v<7) {" but this does add two bytes to the final codesize ;-)
//
// CHANGES
// 14-02-12 Kenn-P - change in diceSetValue - reduced codesize

byte diceValue; // last legal dice value

// set the digital pins to OUTPUT, set the default dice value
void setup() {
  for (byte i=8; i<12; pinMode(i++,OUTPUT));
  diceSetValue(1);
}

// this function (if the value passed to it is valid) decodes the appropriate pattern and sets the digital pins accordingly
void diceSetValue(byte v) {
  const byte dicePattern[]={8,2,10,3,11,7};   
  v--; //arrays are zero indexed
  if (v<6) {
    byte dP=dicePattern[v];   //get the pattern into a temp variable

for (byte dOut=8; dOut<12; dOut++) {  // Loop throught Digital 8 to Digital 11
      digitalWrite(dOut, (dP &1));        // Set current Digital output according to the temp patterns lowest bit
      dP=dP >>1;                          // Shift the temp pattern to the right
    }                                     // and repeat for the next digital output

diceValue=v+1;  //Store the dice value, if the function is called with an invalid value then this variable gets left as it was.
  }
}

// Simple test
void loop(){
  // as a test, simply step through the values 1 to 6, pausing between each
  for (byte i=1; i<7; i++){
    diceSetValue(i);
    //delay(200); //wow adding the delay library adds 190 bytes to the codesize!
    for (volatile long int delCount=0; delCount<0x10000; delCount++);
  }
}

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: