Go Down

Topic: Where did you start with Micro controllers? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

KIM was 6502.
The Motorola device is a MEK6800D2.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Benji

First computer: AT&T MSX
Second computer: 8088, later replaced by an 8086 with a *gasp* hard drive
Then, on the a 80286, 80486 DX4-100, pentium 75, pentium 3, since then AMD's and since 2 years a macbook.

Programming? Well, that's a different story. I wasn't too good at it. I was doing computer science in school, but I got sick, so I missed a lot of the classes. Pascal was pretty ok for me, but besides that I didn't really follow the instructions and the books where horrible.

I gave it up for a long time, but then I wanted something to tinker with, someone prescribed me Arduino and since then I am hooked.
That's about a year ago.

focalist

Feb 07, 2012, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 10:52 pm by focalist Reason: 1
Arduino certainly is good for what ails you.. Or at least provides an interesting distraction from feeling like crap...  :smiley-mr-green:  

I think you chimed in on that 'Arduino as therapy' thread I started last year sometime, didn't you?

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,61970.0.html
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

retrolefty

Feb 07, 2012, 11:43 pm Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 11:49 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1

As I recall, the NCR Century 200 computer I worked on had a row of bulbs (not LEDs) on the front panel. It think there were around 16, and the operator manual stated that if there was an error, the computer would stop and the error code could be determined by examining the "number" in the bit patterns of the lights.

Thankfully my employer had also invested in a state-of-the-art teletype (the sort that you put a typewriter ribbon in, and you put fanfold paper through with holes punched along the side), and the teletype would helpfully spit out a more informative message, like:

Code: [Select]
5100 INOPERATIVE

Although you usually could operate "by ear" as if the job was printing a huge number of statements on the line printer (the fast printer), which made a terrific racket, and the printer suddenly stopped, you would then hear the teletype pathetically typing away in the background "5-1-0-0-I-N-O-P-E-R-A-T-I-V-E" which took about 5 seconds.

I spent a lot of time repairing and working on those large 132 column line printers. At the time in the mid 70s I noted that the line printer model I worked on cost more retail then the 3 bedroom house in the 'burbs' I had just bought. The main print drum was engraved in Switzerland. Doing a print hammer alignment (all 132 of them) took just as long and painful as having a root canal done. And the two spindle disk drive (50 megabytes each) was the size of a refrigerator and cost like $50K. The blank removable disk cartridges were $1,200 each.

Lefty

ajofscott

In highschool I got to scavenge 3 Borroughs Terminals, was a tinker's dream! Huge CVT and 6 2 device TO-3 heatsinks, loads of cards all descrete and small glue logic ICs. The card edge connecters were all wire wrapped connections, a true work of art.

Go Up