Go Down

Topic: Where did you start with Micro controllers? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

or to have remained stubbornly "quirky" (like the 8-bit PICs.)

I've taken to viewing programming PIC 16-series devices (particularly in assembler) as a form of masochism or aversion therapy.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

dhenry

to have remained stubbornly "quirky" (like the 8-bit PICs.)

If you code in a high level language like C, the core itself is mostly transparent.

greywolf271

1979 ......SYM-1 with 2k ram (and you think 32K is'nt enough ? You have'nt lived in the fast lane mate)
Sadly, 2k was'nt enough either, 4k was pushing the proverbial uphill, just. So I frankensteined an S-100 16k memory board to the SYM memory interface.
All this with my parents bugging me on why I was wasting my lowly wages on rubbish !

focalist

Jan 26, 2013, 05:44 pm Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013, 05:47 pm by focalist Reason: 1
SYM1...lol

Maybe was 1982, maybe a bit earlier, but was the same beast, I had access to one when I babysat for a programmer.. And then again in 1983 at a weeklong technology camp at the university of Wisconsin... where we also had access to the university Xerox Sigma Six.

Machine language baby!  (lord it was so awful doing just about anything.. I remember a dice rolling program that took me weeks of poring the SYM manuals.. do I get points for the fact that I succeeded, self taught, a year before my first computer class?)
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

greywolf271

Hey, I still got the boards.
I also bought a second SYM-1 some years later to try out sbc to sbc comms. You're right about learning programming before taking traditional classes. I aced my digital electronics labs at the Airforce training college some years later, and that was on a MicroProfessor.

Go Up