Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can I Use UNO To Program ATMega8 bootloader ?  (Read 750 times)
Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
    I have read through several methods of getting the bootloader onto an ATMega8 using the UNO as and ISP, but why can't I just put the ATMega8 directly into the UNO and select 'Arduino NG or Older with ATMega 8' as the board in the tools/board menu of the Arduino IDE ?

Thanks for any help

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hi,
    I have read through several methods of getting the bootloader onto an ATMega8 using the UNO as and ISP, but why can't I just put the ATMega8 directly into the UNO and select 'Arduino NG or Older with ATMega 8' as the board in the tools/board menu of the Arduino IDE ?

Thanks for any help

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Because there would be no hardware programmer working between the Arduino IDE and the Uno with a mega8 processor installed. Bootloaders must be programmed on a 'target' avr chip via its ICSP pins not the USB serial link. When you load a arduino board with the arduino-as-ISP sketch, it is acting like a hardware programmer talking to the IDE via serial but writing the bootloader code to the external AVR 'target' chip via the ICSP pin.

That make sense?

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,
   I think I have it now, based on your response and some subsequent searching -

When you upload a sketch, you're using the Arduino bootloader, a small program that has been loaded on to the microcontroller on your board. It allows you to upload code without using any additional hardware.

I will have a go at using optiLoader to put a boot loader on the ATMega8, I assume I can then put it into the UNO in place of the ATMega328 and upload test sketches.

Assumming this goes to plan I want to have a go at configuring the fuses to use the internal oscillator for some low cost projects.

Thanks for the pointers,

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: