Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: text tranciver via Arduino  (Read 657 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello world !
I am totally new to Arduino ( so new that tommorow i will have my first Arduino in my hands ). I am planning to create a text messaging transiver.

Let me know if i am thinking wrong but my basic thought is to have a standard 16 btn numeral keypad ( 0 to 9 *# A,B,C,D) and have a counter and a timer to each press ( when ever the time is < 1 sec, if the press is to the same btn change a character to an lcd display ). Lock every character to a position in the 2x16 lcd screen. Use A to C to transmit, erase, clear. Now that everything is in order I have to transmite those data via VHF or UHF to an other identicle transiver and the second one blink a red led to show that there is a message and by pressing the D key left on the numpad to show it to the lcd screen.

Te problem is that i know nothing about programming an Arduino and I don't know how to connect all thinks together. I am pretty sure that by the end of this project I will learn a lot but until then I have to depent on the help and the knowledge of more advanced developers.

Hope I am not asking that much from the community.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Denmark
View Profile

Hi.. and welcome...

Sure it can done... But! i think you stock i fast forward;-) take your time, start with simple tutorials and build some knowledge...

my prediction is that you gonna go dead in a first project like that..

but its your choice..

Edison Member
View Profile

What kind of range are you expecting? That is all quite easy if you know how, but with little experience definetly take it one step at a time,
id suggest start with getting the 16x2 lcd to work, thatl help you visually debug the other steps

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

I have to transmite those data via VHF or UHF to an other

This is the part that concerns me. What sort of range are you planning, in what sort of environment? (Twenty feet through thin air is very different to twenty feet through a building.)

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

View Profile

Thank you all for responding so quick.

The range is not that much. 30m to 50m BUT UNDERWATER, so the transmisition would have to be in low frequensy waves ( 15Mhz to 30Mhz ) and that limits my bitrate.

I was thinking to work first with the LCD too but i don't know how to print chars to the Module. Do you have any idea how something like that would hapent?

Edison Member
View Profile

Using the liquidcrystal library is easiest, look at the examples in the learning section

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

The range is not that much. 30m to 50m BUT UNDERWATER, so the transmisition would have to be in low frequensy waves ( 15Mhz to 30Mhz ) and that limits my bitrate.

In that case the biggest problems I can see are finding suitable transceivers that can be interfaced with the Arduino (if you have to use hardware that hasn't been interfaced before, you might have to write your own drivers), and waterproofing the final system.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Edison Member
View Profile

Yeah good luck waterproofing, that will be the interesting part
maybe try the nrf24l01 underwater and see if it works enough, its so cheap it wouldn't be that bad if it got messed up

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: