Go Down

Topic: 16V AC Small Motor Control Is it possible? (Read 528 times) previous topic - next topic

TrainMan

Hi, I'm new to the group and Arduino. I'd like to control a small 16V AC motor (~700ma). Need to vary the speed and run it forward and backward. Is that possible with the Arduino and additional components? Any one ever tried/done it? Thanks for any suggestions!  George B

DVDdoug

Is the motor reversable?   I think most AC motors only run one direction...

I've never made an AC motor speed controller, but I've made light dimmers, and I assume it's similar.   You dim a light by triggering a TRIAC during part of the AC cycle.  (Actually, you trigger it once per half-cycle... 100 or 120Hz, depending where you live.)

retrolefty

I've never made an AC motor speed controller, but I've made light dimmers, and I assume it's similar.

Normally not. An AC motor's speed is determined by the frequency of the applied voltage not the amplitude of the applied AC voltage. Motor reversal is possible on some AC motors by the terminal phasing of the run winding Vs the start winding and cap. There are different kinds of AC motors but none that I know of can the speed be changed by applying variable voltage level.

Go Up