planning to do a robot controlled by voice

I am planning to do a robot controlled by voice. i just don't know how to make it or where should i start. I'm beginning to like the world of robotics. Please help me..

What would you like to see your robot doing? You should start by planning the purpose, what you want it to look like and so on.

We started our project from zero about a year ago, and it was a hard road, still is, every day. You have to do first something, it is called research. Read through this forum, and ask little questions about mechanics and electronics.

Make a list of the functions needed for your robot, then come back and ask how to solve from the first problem you meet.

Do you have Arduino already? Get UNO and learn C language needed for your programs.
It will be just fine. If you really want! Good luck!
:slight_smile:

Cheers,
Kari

bologtoy:
I am planning to do a robot controlled by voice. i just don't know how to make it or where should i start. I'm beginning to like the world of robotics. Please help me..

I hope you realize this is a very open ended plea for assistance.

First you need to decide which is more important to you at the moment: A moving robot, or voice control. Both can potentially be huge undertakings.

Then you got to think about what you want to do: Do you want to build from a kit, or do-it-yourself all the way, or some combination of both?

Do you have the tools, education, and skills to do any of this? Have you done your research on what it will take to build a robot, as well as add voice recognition for control?

How big do you expect the robot to be? Something small (a desktop "rover")? Something larger (R2D2 sized - a "lab" bot)? Something even bigger (refrigerator to car sized)? Something gargantuan (Gundam sized)? The decision will be determined by your needs, skills, shop (and storage) space, tool availability, and most of all - budget (ie, how much you plan or can spend to build it).

If you are just starting out, I would suggest sticking to a desktop rover, built from a kit. Many options are available there; ideally the kit should use continuous rotation servos for wheel control (simpler to interface to the Arduino this way); the other option is one that uses DC motors plugged into an h-bridge (as a shield, usually - L293 or L298 are common h-bridges used on these boards), which is then controlled by the Arduino. This is more complicated to put together and control, but not by much.

You'll also want some sensors; to start off with, some simple Sharp IR distance sensor(s), and/or some kind of ultra-sonic distance sensor(s), would be useful. Depending on what you want to do or how you want to do it, you might want to mount one of these sensors to a servo to "pan" it around (like a radar unit) - or you can use multiple sensors if wanted.

I already have arduino. I also have knowledge in c language. the hardest part of me is how to build a robot, that if u will say " left" it will turn left. i already did some research of how to build it but the steps are not so clear to me.. i mean still ,i have some question. Is there any robot project that you can recommend to me as a beginner?

Thanks for the reply...

I'd recommend that you start by getting a moving platform working first, that you can control by serial commands. Don't forget that the Arduino is very memory constrained, so doing voice control in software might not be possible. Something like http://www.robotshop.com/ca/vrbot-voice-recognition-module-for-robonova-and-other-robots.html would help in that respect.

cr0sh:
You'll also want some sensors; to start off with, some simple Sharp IR distance sensor(s),

hi..i would like to know if GP2D12 is good enough to stop the motion of the robot if an object is detected..thank you

p.s. will TSOP38238 (IR (Infrared) Receiver Sensor [TSOP38238] : ID 157 : $1.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) be good enough? which is better? thank you