Go Down

Topic: Standalone Arduino (Read 631 times) previous topic - next topic

nitinarora

hello gentlemen....i just finished boot-loading a blank ATmega328p with my arduino board using the tutorial on the website......i plan to use this with my bi-coloured LED cube......i was looking through this tutorial for setting up arduino on breadboard.....

http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/ArduinoBreadboard

Could someone please tell me if i would need the reset switch if I do not plan to add an FTDI interface since i will rarely reprogram the chip and will only use my existing board to do this

--Many thanks

Jack Christensen

The reset switch is not necessary if you don't anticipate ever wanting to manually reset the controller. However, I would retain the 10K resistor to Vcc. Of course the power could always be cycled to achieve a reset.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

KirAsh4

I always leave the option available.  In other words, I will either lay out the necessary traces so that if I later need them, I can simply solder the components in place, or I will add the minimum parts (like the 10K) and leave the button out.  The pads will remain exposed till I decide to solder a button on.

nitinarora

thank you kind people...btw KirAsh just out of curiosity do you also use the toner transfer method for making custom PCBs...i just ask coz i dont have a laser printer so was wondering if there is any other way of creating the masks....thanks

Osgeld

Feb 10, 2012, 09:13 am Last Edit: Feb 10, 2012, 09:16 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
there are other ways, you can get boards with UV sensitive chemicals coating them and use a photographic transfer method.

I often times use a thermal transfer label printer (cause its very small) to print on glossy paper and transfer

there are press on decal systems I have some that is just pads and traces you rub on to boards from way back in radio shack days, or if you plan ahead, and have a steady hand you can use a permanent marker, it may not be perfect but its more than good enough for through hole boards (just use a fresh one)

the biggest thing is to get your boards darn near mirror quality clean, and wear some gloves to keep your fingers from leaving prints in pretty much any method, some funk on a board will screw up any method of etch
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

KirAsh4

thank you kind people...btw KirAsh just out of curiosity do you also use the toner transfer method for making custom PCBs...i just ask coz i dont have a laser printer so was wondering if there is any other way of creating the masks....thanks

I don't make my own PCBs, I just design them and send them off for professional manufacturing.

nitinarora

ohhh cool thanks....also now that i am doing some more reading it seems to me that the auto reset on the duemilanove (the board i used to burn the bootloader yest) needs to be disabled using a 110E resistor between the reset and +5v line.....however on my board this doesnt seem to work and the board just hangs....instead using a 10uF elec. cap between reset and GND did the job....just wondering if you guys have had similar exp....thank you...

Bcarroll

Is the 16Mhz clock crystal required?
I am thinking of using an ATMEGA88A-PU-ND with 3v supply (I think I read that would run the chip at 8Mhz).

CrossRoads

Yes, Promini (a /'328) runs on * MHz crystal at lower voltages.
If you look at section 26, maybe 28, of the '328 datasheet, it shows the voltages needed for specified operation at different frequencies.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up