First off, let me thank all of you for your awesome help and suggestions. I was a little brief on the motor part because I knew how I was executing that part already. I turned out the reason I wasn't getting input to the Arduino was because I used the black (ground, what a fail) wire connected to the speaker. It was the red one. Also there were 3 wires in there, white, black, and red. The black was ground, white was signal, red was power.
The output to the piezo speaker was 3.4v. I was able to use a digitalRead to get the state of the wire. Fun stuff.
As for driving the motor, I'm using my old RepRap stepper drivers (http://reprap.org/wiki/Stepper_Motor_Driver_2.3
) to control a stepper motor. Sorry for the lack of details on that, this post was "supposed" to be more focused on the smoke detector. But you guys are awesome, thanks for all your help.