Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DPDT relay  (Read 2247 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I want to control the direction of a DC motor...I was doing it with four SPST relays which I realize is dumb. I got a 12V DPDT relay and was just wondering how to hook it up. There are two coil pins, two NC pins, two "Core" (??) pins and two NO pins.
I saw this tutorial: http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/DCMotorControl and it said the wiring is wrong and I should ask about it....

So do I hook two arduino pins to the two "core" pins, the motor to the coil and the two NC pins to ground/12V and the NO pins to 12V/ground? Then I also use a transistor (like a tip120) with a diode to connect the pins to the arduino, no?

just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Thanks.

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I suspect the coil pins should be connected to the 'duino, with a reversed diode to kill the spike
Check that pulls the relay first
You should hear it click on and off

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Take a look at this link, it shows you how to do that.
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Workshop/Motors_1.html

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I want to control the direction of a DC motor...I was doing it with four SPST relays which I realize is dumb. I got a 12V DPDT relay and was just wondering how to hook it up.

Using 4 SPST relays isn't necessarily "dumb"; using a DPDT relay may be "dumb" - depending on if you need to be able to turn the motor off. If you do - then a good compromise is two SPDT relays.

The main reason to use SPST relays is the fact that in many cases, you can find larger, higher-current (for the contacts) relays (and for the really large ones, they are called "contactors") easier than you can a DPDT. As long as you make sure that only the proper pair are energized to avoid shoot-thru (and smoke - or fire, depending on what you are controlling) - using four SPST relays/contactors may be what is needed.

Similarly, SPDT relays can be found with higher contact current capability (for a given price) than can an DPDT relay; and if you need an "off" position for the motor, this is a better way to do it than say, using a DPDT relay and a separate SPST relay to control power - mainly because "off" when using SPDT relays is a "brake" function (whereas the DPDT/SPST combo, off is "coast" - now, if you need coasting instead of braking, that may be the better choice).

Also - four SPST relays can give you the choice of coasting or braking for "off" - so there's that, too.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: