Go Down

Topic: When do you use the AREF pin in arduino? (Read 9442 times) previous topic - next topic

So which reference will arduino uno take by default 1.1V or 5V or 3.3V?

When I said "(see http://arduino.cc/it/Reference/AnalogReference)" it was because it answers this sort of question.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

If you do provide an external voltage reference to this pin you must call analogReference(EXTERNAL) in setup () before any call to analogRead() - otherwise you will internally short your reference to 5V and potentially burn out the chip.

You could connect an external voltage via a 1k resistor as a temperary testing setup - then the chip is safe (but analogRead() will be upto 3% wrong...)

You ought to point out, that actually the AREF pin outputs the selected voltage with a pretty low impedance, as long as AREF=EXTERNAL is not selected.

I have blown out my USB chip, since it got 5V back on the 3,3V rail, as I bridged 3,3V and AREF then, powered the Arduino before loading the sketch.

Anyhow even with the sketch loaded, one will never be safe without a resistor...

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131