Go Down

Topic: Assembler doesn't recognize correct value for PORTx in e.g. 'sbi PORTD, PD7' (Read 163 times) previous topic - next topic

roger99

I'm writing an assembly 'library' for a new application (I've written them before), but I guess this is the first time I've used sbi, sbic, sbis, etc in one. If I write

sbi PORTD, PD7

the assembler complains with

Error: number must be positive and less than 32

If I replace PORTD with its I/O address 0x0b, everything assembles OK. So it recognizes the bit numbers (PD7), but gets the value for PORTD wrong. I would suspect that it may be using its memory-space address (0x2b) instead of the I/O address.

I'm using Arduino v1.0.3 and an EtherMega board (ATmega2560).

In my library .S file I have

#include <avr/io.h>

I would expect this to be a common complaint, but I can't seem to get a handle on it with google and forum searches.

Coding Badly

roger99

Further information:

If I insert a (junk) line in my assembly file

ldi r16, PORTD

and then compile the sketch (and 'library') it assembles with a value of 0x2b for PORTD

144: 0b e2       ldi r16, 0x2B ; 43  

Now  port and bit values are #defined  in iomxx0_1.h, which is #included by iom2560.h e.g.

#define PORTD   _SFR_IO8(0x0B)
   #define PD7     7
   #define PD6     6
   #define PD5     5

To confirm that this is where the values are really coming from, I altered the #define of PD7 to have a value of 3. I then recompiled my sketch, and the line

sbi 0x0b, PD7        then compiled as

142: 5b 9a       sbi 0x0b, 3 ; 11

From this it would appear that the assembler thinks that PORTD has a value of 0x2b, despite the values contained in iomxx0_1.h

Where is the problem??

roger99

Ah,... thanks Coding Badly. I didn't see your post until after my second post.

So, does this need to be applied to all I/O register addresses (up to 0x3f) when I need them to be treated as I/O addresses?

If I want to access one of these registers via its memory-space address (e.g. lds r16, xxx) then I simply use

lds r16, PORTD

Correct??

Can you point me to where I find all this documented, please?

Regards,

Coding Badly

So, does this need to be applied to all I/O register addresses (up to 0x3f) when I need them to be treated as I/O addresses?
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/group__avr__sfr__notes.html

Apparently, ASSEMBLER (appears to actually be __ASSEMBLER__ in the header file) needs to be defined before including io.h.

If I want to access one of these registers via its memory-space address (e.g. lds r16, xxx) then I simply use "lds r16, PORTD" Correct??
I have no idea.  I have only done inline assembly.

Can you point me to where I find all this documented, please?
Other than Google, no.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gcc+avr+assembly
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/assembler.html

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy