Go Down

Topic: Disable BOD, ADC for power savings? Boards.txt? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

alexqwerty

I'm creating a sensor network that needs to run on really low power (few mA max). I'm currently using the Watchdog Timer for Sleep but need to lower the power consumption even more. Is there a way to turn off BOD, ADC, this kind of stuff that I don't need? Also, I'm unable to edit and save my boards.txt file, it says that my access has been denied. Thanks in advance for the responses.

pert

Which board/microcontroller are you using?

Are you using the Windows Store version of the Arduino IDE?

alexqwerty

I'm using an Arduino UNO with ATMega328P. I downloaded Arduino from the Arduino website.

pert

I'm not sure why access is denied to boards.txt, maybe it's a permissions issue.

While it's good to learn about boards.txt, editing the Arduino AVR Boards files is not a good idea because any changes you make will be lost anytime you do an update of the Arduino IDE or Arduino AVR Boards.

Much better is to use a custom hardware package that has the settings you need. You could easily create your own and this would be very educational but you should know that a very good one already exists:
https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore
This allows you to easily change the BOD setting via the Tools > BOD menu. Note that you need to do a Tools > Burn Bootloader to set the fuses for the BOD setting change. This requires an ISP programmer, which you can make from another Arduino (see "Arduino as ISP") or a cheap dedicated programmer such as USBasp.

alexqwerty

So then after downloading the Minicore and just plugging in the USBasp programmer from my computer to UNO, I would "Burn Bootloader" with the settings I want? Sorry I'm really new to this. To reset the UNO settings then do I just change the board back to Arduino UNO?

pert

So then after downloading the Minicore and just plugging in the USBasp programmer from my computer to UNO, I would "Burn Bootloader" with the settings I want?
Correct

To reset the UNO settings then do I just change the board back to Arduino UNO?
....and then do another Tools > Burn Bootloader.

Go Up