Go Down

Topic: Arduino to detect 20 VDC to 0 VDC drop? (Read 551 times) previous topic - next topic

vdubtim

Hello!

Brand new to Arduino and amateur with electronics, I have a question - would like to know if this is possible

I have a remote circuit energized at 20VDC. I would like for an Arduino Uno to monitor this circuit, so that when the circuit drops to 0VDC, Arduino will execute an interrupt.

I have been looking for the answer to this, and think it might be possible with the Arduino analog comparator. I am assuming I would need a voltage divider to bring the 20VDC to a lower level acceptable to the Arduino.

I also thought about opto-isolators and relays and am not sure they would work.

robtillaart

Feb 11, 2012, 09:38 am Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 01:59 pm by robtillaart Reason: 1
You will need a voltage divider - 4 to 1 - and do an analogread() and if it drops set a pin high. optionally a reset pin

partial core code
Code: [Select]

void loop()
{
 float voltage = 20.0 * analogRead(A0) / 1023;

Serial.println(voltage);  // or LCD.print ..

if (voltage < 18.0)  // assuming 18V is the warning level
 {
   digitalWrite(alarmpin, HIGH);
 }

if (digitalread(resetpin) == HIGH)
 {
   digitalWrite(alarmpin, LOW);
  //
 }
}

update - some typo's fixed
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

MarkT

Its not clear if this is an analog or digital (on/off) signal - a resistor divider and digital pin ought to sufice if the latter.

Dunno where the 18.0 came from in that snippet BTW - and the reset pin ought to reset, not set the alarmpin!
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

robtillaart

Dunno where the 18.0 came from in that snippet BTW - and the reset pin ought to reset, not set the alarmpin!

added a comment and fixed the alarmpin.

Thanks,
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

vdubtim

Thank you both robtillaart and MarkT! Between the two of you, my question has been answered. Arduino rocks!

Go Up