Go Down

Topic: thoughts on Machine learning (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Driverless cars have more radars, lidars and cameras than warships and most will still have the human control option for a long time to come.
Just needs a small app for a phone :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ChrisTenone

But I don't think the trust will be there for a car without a steering wheel, break pedal, etc, for some time. And a human sitting there. Although in the accident I referenced in reply 21, the human allegedly did not provide the additional level of safety that we want to expect from an automated transport service.
I don't got to show you no stinkin' signature.

Robin2

But I don't think the trust will be there for a car without a steering wheel, break pedal, etc, for some time.
My prediction is that there will be a lot of scepticism (or lack of trust) up to some watershed moment and then they will be completely accepted. And I reckon that moment will come relatively soon - maybe within 5 years.

I suspect the watershed will be evidence from several collisions involving driverless cars which clearly shows that in every case it was the fault of a human driver in the other car. Then the cry will be "get human drivers out of cars as quickly as possible"

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ChrisTenone

My prediction is that there will be a lot of scepticism (or lack of trust) up to some watershed moment and then they will be completely accepted. And I reckon that moment will come relatively soon - maybe within 5 years.

I suspect the watershed will be evidence from several collisions involving driverless cars which clearly shows that in every case it was the fault of a human driver in the other car. Then the cry will be "get human drivers out of cars as quickly as possible"

...R
5 years sounds right.

When's that clathrate thing supposed to happen?

Robin2

When's that clathrate thing supposed to happen?
I had to look that up. It seems to be something to do with chemistry. I'm sorry but I don't understand the allusion.

...R

Henry_Best

I had to look that up. It seems to be something to do with chemistry. I'm sorry but I don't understand the allusion.
Try 'clathrate gun', a global warming hypothesis.

Robin2

Try 'clathrate gun', a global warming hypothesis.
I'll take your word for it.

I still can't get anything from the comment in Reply #63  :)

...R

ChrisTenone

I'll take your word for it.

I still can't get anything from the comment in Reply #63  :)

...R
Some predict that as artic temperatures rise, clathrate compounds located in permafrost and the continental shelf will melt and release huge amounts of methane into the atmosphere. If that were to happen, global warming would be accelerated, and humans would quickly die out - the sixth extinction as it were. The predicted time scale on when the ocean temperature will raise enough to melt clathrates is about 5 to 25 years.

Doesn't give our robot overlords long to rule.

Robin2

Doesn't give our robot overlords long to rule.
On the contrary, wouldn't it clear the decks for them? - like the dinosaur extinction clearing the way for mammals.

The real foolishness is human-kind's assumption that it is the important species.

...R

ardly

Jun 29, 2018, 12:04 pm Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018, 12:23 pm by ardly
Right! I would gleefully self-subjugate.
Oh yea. 124mph on a bike driven by a robot would be a real heart thumping adrenaline rush.
The robot did not match Rossi's lap time, but it will. Then robots will be racing and before you know it they will be firing pump action shotguns over their shoulders.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

TomGeorge

Oh yea. 124mph on a bike driven by a robot would be a real heart thumping adrenaline rush.
The robot did not match Rossi's lap time, but it will. Then robots will be racing and before you know it they will be firing pump action shotguns over their shoulders.

Robot Pizza Delivery Service  :) :) :) :o
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Qdeathstar

@Robin, it's not foolish it's, true. We are the most important species. Importance is a construct of man and can only be evaluated from his perspective.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Robin2

@Robin, it's not foolish it's, true. We are the most important species. Importance is a construct of man and can only be evaluated from his perspective.
That's one way of looking at it.

I was trying for a broader perspective :) - hoping that humankind might abandon its navel gazing.

...R

Qdeathstar

Jul 02, 2018, 02:30 am Last Edit: Jul 02, 2018, 02:31 am by Qdeathstar
That's one way of looking at it.

I was trying for a broader perspective :) - hoping that humankind might abandon its navel gazing.

...R
No hope.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Go Up