Go Down

Topic: pathnames (Read 157 times) previous topic - next topic

Boardburner2

Feb 03, 2016, 10:26 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2016, 10:29 am by Boardburner2
Pathnames.

Not sure where  to ask this but i have a filename i want to use in the command window.

How do i find what the full path is please using windows.

Also when i find it is there any way i can cut paste into the command window

Robin2

What happens if you hit CTRL-C (as if to copy the file) and then paste (CTRL-V) into an open notepad page ?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Boardburner2

I can use my mouse to copy into the dos command window but not the keyboard short cuts.

I would like to be able to do the same in python command window.

My real problem is dyslexia which means i cannot type pathnames without error to launch a file.
Cut and paste worked fine for me with DOS but its difficult with python.

Boardburner2

What happens if you hit CTRL-C (as if to copy the file) and then paste (CTRL-V) into an open notepad page ?

...R
That works fine.

Robin2

That works fine.
Does that mean the problem is solved?

Python contains functions to get the full path name.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Boardburner2

Does that mean the problem is solved?

...R
No, i know how to get the pathname now.

i am unable to launch a script though.

I was hoping that the gui would solve my problem but i cannot get that to work either.

Robin2

Feb 03, 2016, 06:09 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2016, 06:11 pm by Robin2
I have not used Windows for a long time but if you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve something may occur to me (or to other readers).

When I need a complex command I usually create the text in my editor and then copy and paste it into the terminal window. That makes it easy to correct mistakes.

...R

Boardburner2

When I need a complex command I usually create the text in my editor and then copy and paste it into the terminal window. That makes it easy to correct mistakes.

...R
it is this that i have had a problem with.
with dos window it is possible to cut and pate using mouse.

With python window this does not work.
next post gives a link.

Robin2

With python window this does not work.
I don't know what you mean by "python window"

next post gives a link.
Still waiting ...  :)

...R

Boardburner2

I was trying to post a screenshot but it did not work.

The python command window looks similar to the dos window.
I will try another way.

Robin2

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy