Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66   Go Down
Author Topic: Your latest purchase  (Read 97770 times)
Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Think Microsoft VB / VBA and you are there 100% for both code and UI.

Code:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
Activity.LoadLayout("2")
If AStream.IsInitialized = False Then
AStream.InitializePrefix(Main.BTSerial.InputStream, True, Main.BTSerial.OutputStream, "AStream")
End If
txtLog.Width = 100%x
End Sub

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

And to help me learn VHDL, I lashed out and got one of these off Ebay ($182 with free postage):

I'll turn to the FPGA book and board when my Arduino projects start bogging down or I need a break.
Last summer I got this board from Terasic, using an oldish student card:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=139&No=502

Very good deal.  I guess it is similar to yours.  It's been fun to mess with and throw Verilog against to try stuff out.  The chip is HUGE.

I spent some time working out if I could get a uni friend to get one for me - given I have not been a uni student for a while, and in the end decided The cheaper board was less hassle. Those DE2-115s look unreal though. If I had a student card it would have been a no brainer.

My student card doesn't have an issue date on the front so I tried it and it worked fine, probably 6 years since I took my last class. smiley

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

I don't know what a 15,000 LE processor allows me to develop - have you done much with yours?

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

I don't know what a 15,000 LE processor allows me to develop - have you done much with yours?

Well, no.  Mostly just the provided sample configurations.   I think they call them programs, but I can't bring myself to call it that, it's really a hardware configuration.  I did make a stupid little pushbutton calculator out of a much smaller CPLD (EPM7256 208 pin I got cheap on eBay - 5V operation but small by current standards) and ran it out of room before I could implement all the features I wanted it to have, and it was all simple integer stuff working on 12 BCD digits with the CPLD reading the keypad, storing it into a register, and decoding to 3 4x7 segment displays in a multiplexed scanned fashion - that part works.  Maybe I should go back and use a EPM1270 instead.  But as an obvious one, you need pretty large FPGAs to create soft processors with larger feature sets, especially if you are going to integrate some additional hardware onto it.  I haven't tried a soft processor yet because I haven't figured out where it would be preferable to have instead of a normal hard processor.  This is probably just a failure of imagination on my part.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:08:13 pm by JoeN » Logged

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

I bought one of these from Amazon/STAHL for $20 to replace my Radio Shack 30W pen.
Soldering Station Features Continuously Variable Power Between 5-40W, a 1.5mm Pointed Tip
http://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Station-Features-Continuously-Variable/dp/B0029N70WM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375992087&sr=8-1&keywords=soldering+station

I know you pros are shaking your heads at this toy. It doesn't work right out of the box.

First thing I had to do was fix it and that took a Y-shape security tip to get the handle open after rolling & sliding the grip off. Then lift the wires and push inside until the heating element made contact with what it should have been with a nice click. Did that back and forth a few times to be sure then hot glued the wires halfway down the handle to keep it there. They should stay, they're thick, stiff wires in heat shrink.
Put back together, it works now as far as melts solder even turned down though it does take a while to heat up.

I'll see how it goes and probably get my $20 worth.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

I have a very similar looking one (probably the same)
It did work out of the box. Indeed slow to heat but once working it works good enough for Arduino style soldering  smiley-wink
Best regards
jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

OBD was on my wishlist for a long time, just played with some existing android apps and showed to some friends. There was a high "me too" reaction smiley-wink
Torque is a nice app - dials and gauges - with a heads up mode.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I bought an AED.  Two,actually, one to gift to another household with a lot of high risk traffic.
Sigh.  Talk about gifts that you HOPE will NOT Be used.

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

Servos, push rods, universal joint, MPU-6050, pro mini clone.

Going to build a model-sized motion simulator.

I cancelled my futurlec order. More than 2 weeks after they said it would be 1-2 weeks before the remainder of my items were in stock. dx.com have been far more responsive in customer service and item delivery.

So, you want to make something, huh?
View Profile

Purchased an SD Card module and an ADXL345 accelerometer.

If you want to meet a beautiful nurse you must be patient.

Czech Republic
Absolute Beginner, yet.
Newbie in Arduino
since May 2013
View Profile

OBD was on my wishlist for a long time...
Not so long ago, when I wanted BT OBD too, but my car is full of other crap, so I finally decided that actually I do not need it ;-)

Arduino Uno R3, Arduino Mega 2560 R3, Ethermega (R3), and some Ethernet Shields (R3), Chronodots, TMP36 sensors, DS18B20 sensors, LCDs/TFTs, RS232C to learn and play...

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

About 2 lbs of heavy stranded power wire from my scrapper neighbors for $3, salvage price. I haven't tried to measure the lengths (2 hanks) but I'd need some good size spools to wind it on.

A building got taken down and it had a lot of aluminum flex-conduit with wire, junction boxes and switches. This not being Detroit, I know where it came from and that it wasn't stolen but sold off cheap to scrappers to spend the time a destruction crew doesn't have at proper pay to separate materials and parts.

Look around, you might find such a deal. You won't get it from a recycler at that price, it's what they pay!

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

The best is when you find a place getting all the old 25 or 50 pair copper telephone cable being pulled out. Get yourself a 6 or 8 foot length of that stuff, and never worry about breadboard jumpers for the rest of your life!

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I made my first electric motor out of a hank of that stuff cut off in new construction. That was 1970 or 71. Didn't have heat shrink, just electric tape. It was a bit bulky but it spun.

This stuff is 3-phase power line. But if I can remember to ask the scrappers to look for phone line bundles, I will.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

For the first time I wanted a slide pot for a project and didn't have them.  Have all sorts of pots, but they are not convenient as a UI control, more of an adjust and forget control.  They ended up being cheaper than I expected.  Got real nice ones for about 70 cents each.  VERY NICE quality, actually.  10K, one is linear, the other is log.

http://www.newark.com/bourns/pta6043-2010cib103/potentiometer-slide-10kohm-250mw/dp/43K0706?Ntt=PTA6043-2010CIB103
http://www.newark.com/bourns/pta4543-2015dpa103/potentiometer-slide-10kohm-125mw/dp/05R8044?Ntt=PTA4543-2015DPA103

Also got some mercury switches from a Chinese vendor.

* SliderPot.jpg (287.17 KB, 1200x858 - viewed 140 times.)

* MercurySwitches.jpg (109.61 KB, 600x946 - viewed 197 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66   Go Up
Jump to: