Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 67   Go Down
Author Topic: Your latest purchase  (Read 112304 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

A 555 educational board, you can see the works!

And still not have a clue!  smiley-lol

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Czech Republic
Absolute Beginner, yet.
Newbie in Arduino
since May 2013
View Profile

New power switch for older AC adapter

Arduino Uno R3, Arduino Mega 2560 R3, Ethermega (R3), and some Ethernet Shields (R3), Chronodots, TMP36 sensors, DS18B20 sensors, LCDs/TFTs, RS232C to learn and play...

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Voltage reference box from eBay:

Supplies 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and 10V from internal battery. Comes with calibration "certificate".

http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Please post technical questions on the forum - not to me by personal message. Thanks a lot.

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

Very nice - love the  laser-cut box and it really looks the modern-day part to the old laboratory boxen - but I don't think I could justify the price for the infrequent times I would use it and the battery would run flat for the same reason, which is not good for Li-Polys as I understand.

Given that most digital multimeters have ranges based on "2", it seems only the 10V output is really useful.  (OK, I suppose you use the 2.5V for calibrating Arduinos, eh?)  I note its integral power converter.

Thus provoked, I could consider building one with a different reference and calibrating it from someone's reference - as that one is in the descriptions.  Of course you can say it's not worth the trouble - just buy it!

Interestingly - your photo shows 5 mm LEDs and I thought the pictures on eBay showed SMD.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:31:40 am by Paul__B » Logged

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Good point, it's not identical to the one in the photo on the page I bought it. And I must admit I wondered about the power jack, now I see it is for recharging. Assuming they designed it with low consumption in mind that battery should last a long time.

You have to hold down the only button for a few seconds to "start" it, after which a brief click changes the output level.

I don't know how you know if it needs charging, all the documentation I received is visible in the photo.

Please post technical questions on the forum - not to me by personal message. Thanks a lot.

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I don't know about "much more" complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Depending on the manufacturer, the standard 555 package includes 25 transistors, 2 diodes and 15 resistors ...

This kit has 26 transistors, no diodes and 16 resistors. So about the same complexity.

http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/tinykitlist/652-555kit

Datasheet available at that link.

Danger Boy
Edison Member
View Profile

I don't know about "much more" complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Depending on the manufacturer, the standard 555 package includes 25 transistors, 2 diodes and 15 resistors ...

This kit has 26 transistors, no diodes and 16 resistors. So about the same complexity.

http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/tinykitlist/652-555kit

Datasheet available at that link.

Hmmm...  Thirty cents or thirty dollars... smiley-eek-blue

Still, it looks kinda fun.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile

I was very naughty and finally bought a standalone oscilloscope, the Owen SDS7102 for $365 with a free case over at Saelig. Still looking for a reasonably-priced signal generator whose output frequencies do not have to exceed 60Hz. All the stuff they have there is either way over spec or not standalone.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Still looking for a reasonably-priced signal generator whose output frequencies do not have to exceed 60Hz
You can buy AD9850-based devices for about $5 each, with roughly 10mHz resolution up to 40MHz.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

it is not a signal generator,
I'm sorry - you're saying a sinusoid isn't a signal?
Did you mean to say it isn't a function generator?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, 42, The 1st Reality, The Cosmos, Some other really big thing
Blows-things-up-and-beats-the-computer-on-systax-errors-kinda-guy
View Profile

Some miscillanious relays for my rocket launcher controller. You've heard of it. Cmon. Goto errors and the lot...:333

waterlubber
Codes in: C++, Python, some VB, winDOS, YAML
Likes cake and arduino. And minecraft.

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

Mr and Mrs Crossroads' book... I'm still a teen at heart. Local supplier hopes it's in next weeks consignment.

Another local supplier is waiting for some protoplastic, and I hope they'll remember I want some of it.

The Elders of the Internet know who I am
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Yes I got my copy a few days ago:

It is written by Bob and Kathleen Patterson (CrossRoads and wife).

Saying it is "for teens" is probably an understatement. There is a lot of reference material in this book, including stuff like how to read a datasheet, confronting installation problems, interrupts, watchdog timer, interpreting part numbers, choosing types for C programs, EEPROM, SPI, I2C, and quite a lot more.

There are example circuits, example code, and a lot of other detail.

Let me put it this way: a great number of questions you might have about designing circuits, and writing code, are explained in this book. And if you are unfamiliar with electronics fundamentals, a lot of that is covered as well.

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

A glowing recommendation Nick. You should do all Crossroads PR - Nice critique  smiley-lol

Edit - Nick, you did such a good job that I just put my order in at fishpond.com.au. That's what I call global infiltration
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:42:09 am by Pedro147 » Logged

Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile

Still looking for a reasonably-priced signal generator whose output frequencies do not have to exceed 60Hz
You can buy AD9850-based devices for about $5 each, with roughly 10mHz resolution up to 40MHz.

Thank you, AWOL for the suggestion. There is a plethora out there, next step will be finding one that can handle up to +/-10Vpp and so on. Some seem to offer on-board amplifiers for that. Thanks again.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 67   Go Up
Jump to: