Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67   Go Down
Author Topic: Your latest purchase  (Read 108287 times)
Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

It's apparently worth a lot more than I paidsmiley-evil Okay,mine hasn't been refurbed. Do I care? No.

Professional sellers selling from their own website and directly to their customer base are almost always going to be more than eBay or a hamfest.  At least that is what I have always seen.  In this case, they give a very decent warranty and almost certainly have the expertise to fix it and recalibrate it if something fails.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control
View Profile

Hi, Congratulations on the Tech License, nice CRO, good popular brand.
Excellent price, there will be lots of know-how around if any problems with the unit.

Tom..... smiley

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Hi, Congratulations on the Tech License, nice CRO, good popular brand.
Excellent price, there will be lots of know-how around if any problems with the unit.

Tom..... smiley

Thanks. Well, if anyone has a 311-1192-00 10K pot w/switch in their back pocket, I'd be interested in that. and the 2 knobs that go on it. It works, at least as far as I can tell just turning it, but the center stem is bent, so there's a catch, where turning the switch stem moves the pot, and vice versa.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Thanks. Well, if anyone has a 311-1192-00 10K pot w/switch in their back pocket, I'd be interested in that. and the 2 knobs that go on it. It works, at least as far as I can tell just turning it, but the center stem is bent, so there's a catch, where turning the switch stem moves the pot, and vice versa.

That may or may not be an easy pot to find; old tek equipment can be hit and miss finding parts. Here's the manual for it, anyhow:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/475adm44/

You might be able to find something here:

http://www.qservice.tv/vpasp/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=59&cat=TEKTRONIX+Potentiometers+-+Switches+-+Connectors

I had to order an implosion shield for my Tek 2213 scope (the one that came with the scope was blurred by somebody having sprayed something on it); I think the shield I got came from Eastern Europe or something, but it was the part I needed.

See if you can find the part - or if you can't, email them - maybe they can find you the part you need?

Good luck!

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Thanks cr0sh. I actually tried to order from them, but wound up not proceeding, based on the 3 strikes rule:
 - required creating an account
 - no info on shipping method (I use different addresses for USPS vs. UPS/Fedex)
 - Paypal

Too picky? Well, I keep a minimum amount in my Paypal account, and never intended to use it for anything other than incoming. And my CC doesn't work via Paypal -- I guess my carrier just disallows them. I pretty much feel that a real business ought to be able to take cards directly. So, in the short term, I made a wierd face and bent the stem back to straight, but it still catches. Didn't break anything, that I can tell. Might be a function I'll never use anyway. I just like to have things "right".  smiley-roll

Sphere Research looks better to me. But they don't have one. smiley-sad But I feel more comfortable shooting them an e-mail asking if they can let me know when they find another.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

book - http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Workshop-Hands-On-Introduction-Projects/dp/1593274483/ -

well written tutorials, projects are build up in complexity. Good book to help explain why Arduino is so much fun.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

As an old fart, I had put off buying the FTDI cable ( $ 20 )  to allow in circuit programming, but I had to buy a USB/ttl module at the weekend, for $4, and it has all the pins available, so I fitted a cap for resetting and the project can be reprogrammed via its USB lead.
I bought  spare one at that price, so I saved $16 on the lead for in circuit programing for future projects

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

As an old fart, I had put off buying the FTDI cable ( $ 20 )  to allow in circuit programming, but I had to buy a USB/ttl module at the weekend, for $4, and it has all the pins available, so I fitted a cap for resetting and the project can be reprogrammed via its USB lead.
I bought  spare one at that price, so I saved $16 on the lead for in circuit programing for future projects

Ever do ICSP sketch uploading using a 'hardware' programmer? It gives one additional options/trade-offs. E-bay has USBasp types for around the same price as the module you bought and often throw in a usb cable.

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi, my workplace had to order 100 12way PCB mount screw terminals.
One of the online suppliers gave us the price we were looking for with 6 day delivery.
On the due day the satchel turned up and out popped the contents in the first picture, a box of 50, a bag of some and a smaller box.
The supplier had to go to, by the looks of it, three different locations in their network to get the required numbers.
Well the bag had 49 items, the small box, I'll let the second picture explain.

* 120220141315rr.jpg (207.11 KB, 856x642 - viewed 32 times.)

* 120220141316rr.jpg (185.8 KB, 642x856 - viewed 43 times.)

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

ha ha.

Sounds like E14, they often fill your order with parts from all over the world. It boggles the mind that they can make money getting one connector from Timbuktu. I guess they don't really but have to be seen to be able to fulfil orders and be a one-stop-shop, or you go elsewhere.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:49:55 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Give that man a prize....
Exactly, loose on one and hopefully win a lot on another.

I was in supermarket the other day, major one, got a bag of ice (frozen H2O), got home and found out that it came from interstate, not from local ice maker.
How much energy to make, keep frozen from NSW to VIC, must be some carbon tax in there somewhere, but it was 50cents cheaper than local product.
I usually buy local product but didn't want to get out in heat for just a bag of ice, will think next time.

Tom...... smiley

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

I bought about $25 worth of "old junk" at Goodwill today to tear it down and pull off parts.  I got an Iomega Zip drive with a nice stepper motor, very odd servo (it opens the disc cartridge door, and a few good parts, an XM receiver, two DSL modems/routers with some nice bits, a Walkman CD player (two motors, a bunch of ASICs that I can find datasheets on but are probably useless), a scanner (want to mess with the sensor) and a broken down PS2.  There is an old Atmel controller on one of these, pre-AVR, presumably an 8051, a Renasas controller, several EEPROMs and flash memories, a bunch of crystals and oscillators and regulators, lots of inductors of various types, and one very interesting part I didn't know existed.  It's  apparently 16 transformers inside one surface-mount, approximately quadruple-height chip:

http://www.ic72.com/pdf_file/p/136610.pdf  (PN PH406003).

Ever use one of these?  I guess that 1/4 of the chip is used for each Ethernet channel.  There was a separate integrated transformer package for the DSL input.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

I got an Iomega Zip drive with a nice stepper motor, very odd servo (it opens the disc cartridge door), and a few good parts,

Arguably more useful as parts than as a reliable data storage medium.   smiley-grin

I guess that 1/4 of the chip is used for each Ethernet channel.  There was a separate integrated transformer package for the DSL input.

Well, that makes sense, doesn't it?  Why waste space?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:56:20 pm by Paul__B » Logged

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi, my workplace had to order 100 12way PCB mount screw terminals.
One of the online suppliers gave us the price we were looking for with 6 day delivery.
On the due day the satchel turned up and out popped the contents in the first picture, a box of 50, a bag of some and a smaller box.
The supplier had to go to, by the looks of it, three different locations in their network to get the required numbers.
Well the bag had 49 items, the small box, I'll let the second picture explain.

That's awesome.  At least it was well-protected!

At an old job, we ordered a NAS (that is, a datacenter NAS with 24 hard drives in a 3U rack shelf) from our typical reseller.  The first thing to arrive was a box about the size of a pair of work boots.  Opened it up, took out the foam supports, and found a smaller box inside.  Opened that, and nestled safely within eggshell padding adhered to the box, was a single sheet of paper:  The software license agreement.

This box was overnighted, BTW.

Since it was a private company bidding on a government contract that required the equipment purchase, that right there is our tax dollars at work.  Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside, don't it?   smiley-roll

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

and one very interesting part I didn't know existed.  It's  apparently 16 transformers inside one surface-mount, approximately quadruple-height chip:  Ever use one of these?  I guess that 1/4 of the chip is used for each Ethernet channel.  There was a separate integrated transformer package for the DSL input.

Isolation transformers.  They're on every Ethernet device, although many of the physical RJ45 jacks have them integrated, so there won't be a separate part on the board.  They provide balanced, differential signaling and remove the likelihood of ground loops and DC offset by having the transceivers electrically isolated from each other.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67   Go Up
Jump to: