Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 117 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

What you can get on eBay!

(Check out the shipping to Australia!)

(No, I'm not bidding against you!   :D)

TomGeorge

What do you expect it is Worldwide Saver Rate.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

Paul__B

What do you expect it is Worldwide Saver Rate

Marketing?

(Something I do not need - is non-working LCD monitors.  There are at least a dozen monitors sitting on the floor here albeit not necessarily 19", a significant proportion of which are faulty in some way.  The wife is not at all happy.  She would be really happy if I  could flog off any of them for $9.99 plus postage, least of all the non-workers.)

GoForSmoke

I saw a Youtube the other day where a guy built a circuit that allowed him run "dead" CFLs.
Apparently what dies is something in the cheap planned-obsolescence electronics.
If something like that could revive LCD panels then that would be just smiley-dancey wouldn't it?
Nick Gammon on multitasking Arduinos:
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts

TomGeorge

Hi Paul, some LCD monitors die because of the power supply to the rear light system failing.
You can check by turning the monitor on and with some input that you know should be displayed, look at the monitor surface from the side while shining a torch on it.
If you can see the image then the backlight or its supply is u/s.
And you can get replacements on the tadaaaaa...****internet****  , wow isn't electronics wonderful.

Tom..... :)

overkiller

Look what beautiful part I bought!

9V Solar Panel, with will charge batteries for me. (Or power up my Attinys), yellow banana plugs, 5 big yellow LEDs and Attiny2313A.

TomGeorge

At an old job, we ordered a NAS (that is, a datacenter NAS with 24 hard drives in a 3U rack shelf) from our typical reseller.  The first thing to arrive was a box about the size of a pair of work boots.  Opened it up, took out the foam supports, and found a smaller box inside.  Opened that, and nestled safely within eggshell padding adhered to the box, was a single sheet of paper:  The software license agreement.

This box was overnighted, BTW.

My aunt, deceased now, when she came to Australia for holiday said that when she worked at Slough Poly, she was a secretary, all software updates at the time was delivered by Sercuricor Deliveries in a similar way.
Big box, inside a very small box, loaded with floppies. This was back in the 70's so they would have been BIG floppies.( 8inch??)

Tom.... :)

GoForSmoke

At an old job, we ordered a NAS (that is, a datacenter NAS with 24 hard drives in a 3U rack shelf) from our typical reseller.  The first thing to arrive was a box about the size of a pair of work boots.  Opened it up, took out the foam supports, and found a smaller box inside.  Opened that, and nestled safely within eggshell padding adhered to the box, was a single sheet of paper:  The software license agreement.

This box was overnighted, BTW.

My aunt, deceased now, when she came to Australia for holiday said that when she worked at Slough Poly, she was a secretary, all software updates at the time was delivered by Sercuricor Deliveries in a similar way.
Big box, inside a very small box, loaded with floppies. This was back in the 70's so they would have been BIG floppies.( 8inch??)

Tom.... :)

Most likely 8's. And low capacity at that.

Of course the alternative may have been punched tape.

Paul__B

Hi Paul, some LCD monitors die because of the power supply to the rear light system failing.
You can check by turning the monitor on and with some input that you know should be displayed, look at the monitor surface from the side while shining a torch on it.

I know.   :D

There is a firm in Sydney who actually repairs monitors, strange thought that be.  The fellow turns up to the North Rocks markets, perhaps less regularly than he used to.  Some years ago, I bought a second-hand monitor from him (I mostly buy second-hand monitors - and computers - much cheaper that way) which failed - the backlight - with a bad smell.  I took it back to the markets and he said "no trouble - we will fix it"!  I was somewhat shocked - who repairs monitors these days?  Nevertheless, my son picked it up later from them in the backblocks round Auburn and it proceeded to work just fine.  (Replaced the inverter.)  I forget now just which one it was of course.

If you can see the image then the backlight or its supply is u/s.
And you can get replacements on the tadaaaaa...****internet****  , wow isn't electronics wonderful.

One monitor here - of the said many - is documented on the 'net to simply require replacement of the electrolytics - perhaps $10 from Jaycar.  The problem is - I pick up monitors at garage sales for less than that though the 24" I am presently using did cost all of that.  So that's the situation, I am just a little reluctant to trash the older ones until I have spent the time to conclusively determine they are BER (in the "experimenter" sense).

Constantin

Feb 19, 2014, 03:59 am Last Edit: Feb 21, 2014, 05:45 pm by Constantin Reason: 1
Silicon Labs Si7020 I2C humidity and temperature sensor (see writeup in sensor section for longer description). Looks like a nifty replacement for the SHT21, and HTU21D series of DFN6-sized sensors (i.e. 3x3mm) at a great price point ($4 ea with dust shield!). I hope they stick around, and stay at this price point unlike their competitors (the HTU21D is in and out of stock constantly, and the price at Digikey raised 50% to $12.50 ea, a real headache!)

So I bought 5 with the dust shield.  :)

TomGeorge

Hi everybody, after the last packaging issue I posted the other week, we used the same people to purchase a particular SMPS 5 pin chip to repair a PLC.
Say the number was  yyy-2yyy, we had to wait 6-7 days cos it was not in stock in Australia, fair enough, we were repairing a batch of 15 of these PLC and only one needed this IC. So it was not urgent, ordered 10 units to keep in stock.
6 days later delivery turns up, plastic bag says  yyy-2yyy, but did not contain IC, contained SIM card socket.
Looked up SIM socket, part yyy-4yyy, okay picked up out of wrong bin, phoned supplier, told them situation, fine will send correct part.
4 days later (today) delivery, plastic bag, yyy-2yyy, contents  yyy-4yyy.
Phoned supplier, told story, very sorry, will ring back.
Rang back, sorry cannot supply IC out of stock not able to restock.

Now question, are they really out of stock, could be, or is the IC in some other bin, not yyy-2yyy or conveniently yyy-4yyy and they can't find it?

They are  supposed to have 180 units in stock ,somewhere but can't find them.
It seems this IC is located in one warehouse only ,so that narrows it true location down.

The value of ten of these ICs is $25, so not even worth sending a work experience kid into the warehouse with a cut lunch and a pith helmet, he/she would probably turn feral before  finding it.

They will, when new stock eventually arrives just put, them in the correct bin, (we hope).

There will at sometime out there be some poor sod like us, ordered a part and gets SMPS IC, hopefully not twice.

Tom... :)

westfw

Whoo hoo!  Used a charity auction as an excuse to buy the Android tablet I've been thinking of getting, justified by the Android Programming classes I'm taking (or trying to take.)  Tegra "Note 7."  More than I was planning to spend, but the cheap tablets don't seem to have Bluetooth, and it was for a good cause.

Also my first order from DipMicro (random parts including some tiny85s), and "Analysis of Algorithms" (Sedgewick and Flajolet) (which I think I despair of ever actually understanding.  Sigh.)  (Sedgewick's MOOC on (just) Algorithms is very good, though!)

GoForSmoke

Sounds scarey. They use examples? Have student exercises?
That's what got me through advanced maths. When I HAD to do the homework, it really helped!

Graynomad

Yikes Tom, the perils of purchasing eh?

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Graynomad

My latest purchase, another 20-foot container (the blue one, that's 3 now, I love shipping containers). This will be the GRAYnomad's man cave from which many exciting Arduino projects will emerge once I line the inside, cut some windows, make some benches and wire up 240 volts.

This was two days ago, I've since levelled it up.
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up