Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 117 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

My latest purchase, another 20-foot container (the blue one, that's 3 now, I love shipping containers). This will be the GRAYnomad's man cave from which many exciting Arduino projects will emerge once I line the inside, cut some windows, make some benches and wire up 240 volts.

This was two days ago, I've since levelled it up.

Does this mean the 'nomad has put down roots? Doesn't look like something you can easily tow...
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Graynomad

Sort of, we are not planning to go anywhere for a couple of years at least. Still living in the truck but it's parked on our land. We are buying a lot of "stuff" that normal people do, heck we even got a washing machine recently, so much for my minimalist approach to life :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

draythomp

Some of you will find this hard to believe.  I have a neighbor (roughly 3/4 mile south and 1/4 mile west) that built a huge garage.  What was interesting, besides being jealous of the garage) was that he had the foundation poured, inspected then he brought in 7 containers.  He then had a backhoe dig out the center of the foundation about 30 feet deep, and a crane lift 5 of the containers and put them in the hole.  Then he covered them all with plastic sheets, and buried them.  After running some equipment over the loose dirt to compact it, he poured the floor inside the foundation, and had the inspectors come out to inspect.

So, the garage is all finished now and looks pretty cool.  All of us are wondering what he is going to do with the containers buried under it.  The left over two containers are setting on the lot along with a few huge rolls of plastic.

So Nomad isn't the only one that love containers.
Trying to keep my house under control http://www.desert-home.com/

MichaelMeissner

Mar 08, 2014, 08:21 pm Last Edit: Mar 08, 2014, 08:22 pm by MichaelMeissner Reason: 1
In terms of standard shipping containers, the US Discovery channel show Mythbusters, seems to go through containers on a regular basis.

Quite a few years back, in Massachusetts, USA there was a retailer (Anthony "Spag" Borgatti) who sold all sorts of things in odd lots at his store Spaggs.  He evidently discovered a loophole in the law, that if he had all of merchandise that wasn't stocked on the shelves in a normal warehouse, he would have to pay taxes on it, but if the stuff was in containers, it theoretically was in transit, so he didn't have to pay taxes on it.  So in the back lot, he had various shipping containers and old trailer trucks holding the excess merchandise. http://wheelockshstoricalblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/worcester-massachusetts_13.html

GoForSmoke

It's worse in California, or was. They checked twice a year.
Nick Gammon on multitasking Arduinos:
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts

Constantin

So, the garage is all finished now and looks pretty cool.  All of us are wondering what he is going to do with the containers buried under it. 

I bet he's a prepper… trying to get it all in w/o anyone noticing. Same thing happened all over the US in the 60's… many folk started installing nuclear shelters on the sly, hoping that none of their neighbors would notice and come knocking in case of a nuclear attack. Your neighbor evidently didn't want anyone to know about the storage underneath the garage… especially the planning department in town, since every muni employee would then also know where to go in an emergency...

Your neighbors approach sounds hallways workable assuming the soil drains very well and the water table is pretty low. Shipping containers are pretty tough and cheap… but metal only goes so far in terms of resisting water, regardless of how many layers of plastic diapers your neighbor applied. A better approach is spraying an foundation-sealing elastomer on the outside of said containers and then applying several inches of XPS, which won't absorb water and insulates well.

Graynomad

5 containers 30' deep, that's one hell of a hole.

Yeah he's probably a prepper, but just in case he's not I wouldn't ask too many questions :)

I'm not a prepper as such but we're mostly off grid and I do like to be as independent of the official infrastructure as possible. Our stocks are low at present but normally we should be able to last for 3 months, no fresh fruit and veggies of course, but overall we'd be pretty comfortable.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

draythomp

Yes, it was one big hole.  I'd post the location using google maps, but he might get pissed.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.885104,-112.045438&spn=0.001597,0.00327&t=h&z=19

This is after the fill and before the garage went up.  The four containers are off to the right (I messed up counting them).  The plastic is near the house. There are five containers under that garage with one of them sticking past the foundation on the bottom side where the dirt has been disturbed.  The house has been torn down.  There is an 8' block wall around the entire property with steel gates at the front. You can see where they started the wall at the front of the plot.  We all think he's a prepper.  Actually most of us in this area are to some degree.  With the price of gas and distance to a grocery store, we have to be.  I have about two months of staples, a well, a couple of hundred gallons of gasoline, fifty gallons of diesel (tractor), couple of generators, etc.  You know, the basic necessities.

And, this is Arizona, everyone has a gun.  Most of them are wearing a gun most of the time.  A couple of folk out here regularly walk their dog with a gun strapped to their side.  Makes for a very polite neighborhood.

TomGeorge

Hi, we get our share of extreme paytv shows here, and preppers is one of many.
However you have to say in some respect, who knows what is going to happen in our future.
With environmental extremes (no not going greenhouse soapbox) it may be of value to do some sort of preping, we have become too used to the local supermarket being so close and don't realize they work to minimum inventory maximum product flow.
Turn off the tap and they have no reserves.

Tom......I love living in this part of the world.... :)

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

Coding Badly

I bet he's a prepper…

The other possibility is that he is trying to avoid an onerous local taxing authority.  My neighbor built a modest deck.  One day he found two uninvited strangers carefully measuring his new deck.  After a brief confrontation he was informed they had the right and authority to cross a no trespassing sign in order to investigate the un-permitted improvement to his property.  As expected, his property tax was soon increased.

Where I live every square inch of enclosed space and most non-enclosed space is taxable.  A county highway cuts a corner of my property.  In an especially cruel twist, I pay property tax on the easement despite the fact that I cannot touch it in any way.

By burying (hiding) the containers he may hope to avoid a similar fate.

pico

I bet he's a prepper…

In a previous life, I worked in aerial reconnaissance, specializing in identifying nuclear missile installations.

I'd say that's no fallout shelter. It's a missile silo.

Compare it with the attached photo taken in Cuba in the early 1960s.

Same thing happened all over the US in the 60's…

More like what was happening all over Cuba in the 1960s. I would suggest this guy isn't seeking to hide from a nuclear attack. He's looking to retaliate.

If pesky local town planning officials come knocking, he can always swat them down with the Second Amendment. And common sense suggests don't annoy the guy with the nukes in his backyard.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Constantin

We all think he's a prepper.  Actually most of us in this area are to some degree.

What a silly rabbit. A real prepper never builds near other people. Makes it too obvious what you're up to. :) Given the quality of gas these days, I hope you cycle through your stuff quickly enough before it decomposes. :D But the location certainly explains the use of plastic sheathing for diapering the containers.

I guess I'm a bit of an optimist or like living like the proverbial grasshopper in a urban environment without nuclear self defense weapons or secret underground vaults. That said, it later occurred to me that there might be perfectly legitimate reasons for the underground containers - such as growing mushrooms, wine storage, or similar purposes. Of course, there could be more 'recreational' things growing down there also. The electrical bill will tell the story...

Chagrin

He then had a backhoe dig out the center of the foundation about 30 feet deep, and a crane lift 5 of the containers and put them in the hole.  Then he covered them all with plastic sheets, and buried them.  After running some equipment over the loose dirt to compact it, he poured the floor inside the foundation, and had the inspectors come out to inspect.

The reason why you put plastic under a concrete slab is to prevent moisture from moving upward through the slab. If he draped plastic over the top that's going to have the effect of keeping the moisture in -- not out.

For a nuclear war the best place to be is in one of the old L-carrier vaults (description, example). Doesn't look like much, right? The above-ground buildings are all expected to be lost and the actual vault is underground, encased in "a lot" of concrete with mesh to act as a Faraday cage. One near me is about the size of a basketball court, underground.

draythomp

I don't think he was at all concerned about water.  With the water table at over 400 feet and the rainfall as low as it is, I'll bet he covered them with plastic to keep dirt from messing up the contents, or building up inside them.  I didn't get to see when they filled it, but was told that he actually wrapped it over the top and sides of each container. 

You're right about preppers, he wouldn't want to be this close to anyone else.  So, grow house (there is a big generator on site), storage for something valuable that he wants to protect especially well, extra bedroom?  I drove by it today and he has mounted cameras on the walls, looking at the gate and has no trespassing signs all over the place.

Oh well, he keeps to himself.

TomGeorge

Mar 10, 2014, 07:00 am Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014, 07:03 am by TomGeorge Reason: 1
Hi, probably got a REALLY GOOD WINE CELLAR.........

Or have you seen a TV crew form A&E or Discovery around, new series of Moonshiners, copper pipe and cylinders turned up yet?

Tom......... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

Go Up