Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 67   Go Down
Author Topic: Your latest purchase  (Read 108122 times)
YES! It is possible. Even Impossible Says I m Possible. :)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Excellent book. Perhaps the best among its kind.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Einstein

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

TI Connected Launchpad: http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl
Several Cypress PSo4 Things, including some bare chips ($1 each!)
   Pioneer: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=77780
   Prototyping kits: http://www.cypress.com/?rid=92146 (what a great idea, as a "sample" alternative!)
I also scored an ST F4 "Nucleo" at EELive:  http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM116/SC959/SS1532/LN1847/PF260000
So many eval kits, so little time :-(

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Those PSoCs look real nice, I got a CD with the dev software a while back but haven't installed it yet. I'm waiting until I get my workshop up and running so I have some space for tinkering.

So many eval kits, so little time :-(
It's quite amazing what's available these days and all free or near as dammit to free. I don't know if it's better to play with everything or really get to know one family well. You are obviously going for the first option smiley

______
Rob
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:30:42 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I really like the whole "comparative microcontroller evaluation" things, but it seems to be really difficult to actually get anything "done." :-(   My poor 8-bit PICs seem to have fallen off the low end...

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control
View Profile

Hi, at last more manufacturers realising if they provide an evaluation kit at a good price, (not 100's of dollars), that designers just might use their product.
The power of open sourcing....

Now if  ABB and Seimens can only get down off their high horses?  Ridiculous prices for software for a start.
I avoid both brands like the plague when they say how much their software is, unforunately its there distributors salesman that looses the sale. I was trained on both brands and got sick and tired of keys and security on their software.
Especially when the key was a so-called uncopyable fragile 3 1/2 floppy.

Tom...... smiley

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

That PLC software is really expensive, around $5k per license I believe although I've never bought it myself.

So in an update on my workshop build here are my latest two purchases. First is a new MIG welder

I need this to make the window frames etc. But it needs a power source of around 6-7000 watts and we live on solar with a 3300-watt inverter. What to do? I know, buy a nice big generator.

7.5KVA of pure joy smiley

So work on the mancave Arduino R&D facility will begin soon.

______
Rob

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Not enough spec headroom.  10KW would have been cooler.      smiley-twist

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Tasmania - Australia
View Profile

TomGeorge wrote:
Now if  ABB and Seimens can only get down off their high horses?  Ridiculous prices for software for a start.
I avoid both brands like the plague when they say how much their software is, unforunately its there distributors salesman that looses the sale. I was trained on both brands and got sick and tired of keys and security on their software.
Especially when the key was a so-called uncopyable fragile 3 1/2 floppy.
Tom, I'm wondering if you meant to say AB, as in Allen Bradley from Rockwell Automation, which manufacture a range of PLCs and VSDs rather than ABB which make VSDs and other power technologies for industry?

Yes, you are correct Rob, the software licence I purchased for AB PLCs, RS5000 produced by Rockwell Software for use with AB Control Logix range of PLCs cost me around $4k and it is only mono OS platform as well.

Guess which one it is that I need to continually keep a current live version of VirtualBox to run this software?
I bought it a few years back now and is well out of date and would not be looking forward to shelling out more money to have it upto date. To make it a bit safer from being a software only licence I have it in a USB security dongle. That allows me to operate it from more than one computer. I just need to make sure I don't loose the silly thing now  smiley-eek

As Tom infers, Open Source, love it, and it seems to be a thriving business model. Many who have worked in the traditional business world find it difficult concept to grasp in terms of making any money from it, I am sure.

Tom, I still have some of those 3½" floppies with the activation codes for the older RS500 software for SLC-500 range. A total PITA, but I was able to get around the complex and tricky copy protection and made a few backups, for myself only of course  smiley-mr-green

Hence my desire to utilise the micro-controller these days in my industrial applications when it is appropriate. Did I mention your nice Quub design there Rob?

Like Rob, I am also making mancave, I mean new shiny R&D area for our pursuits. New floor is being laid next week as soon as I finish building this current PLC replacing Arduino project.

I haven't bought anything new for a while, I'm setting some money aside for Quub and looking forward to developing with it. Bugger, I mentioned it again?

Anyhow, Rob, that MIG-150 is looking very attractive in its green and black colour.
____
Paul

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi, Paul, yes ABradley.
I use a different brand PLC in real life, nice free software, upgrade able, and fitted with a retro gradable facility if PLC and software don't quite match version wise. And  very capable programming help here in Australia.

Bob, nice MIG, do you have plasma cutter to go with it to cut the windows out.

Generator..   noise pollution in the bush..    the possums will do despicable things on your roof for keeping them awake.

Tom....... smiley

Tasmania - Australia
View Profile

Possums, don't talk to me about possums Tom. Each night I get out to chase them from my small veggie garden here on the mountain.

With a bright LED head torch, I scan the bush and see six eyes out of one tree, four from another tree and a single pair out of another, all waiting for their chance. Some are ringtail, which pretty well keep to themselves. It's the big brush tail possum that has 'no fear'.

Wallabies, they're no problem, even cute and inquisitive  smiley

That is what I should buy, or even make, an electric zapper. I'm about fed up with so many possums at this time of the year.
Picking up possum cage trap tonight so I can give some of them a holiday to a new location they have never seen before.

Tom, what sort of PLC and software do you use then, I'd like to have another option for PLC only projects possibly?
____
Paul
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:07:24 pm by rockwallaby » Logged

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Not enough spec headroom.  10KW would have been cooler.
Probably, but a lot more expensive and this one just turned up on Gumtree at the right time (thank's to Paul/rockwallaby for finding it). I've only done a few test welds but it's working pretty well. Even at 150A the gennie hardly misses a beat, but the breakers trip. They seem happy at 120A and for the things I normally do that's plenty, but I will look into those breakers because at full noise the welder should need around 13A+losses and that's under the breaker size AFAIK.

do you have plasma cutter to go with it to cut the windows out.
I'm very tempted to buy one, they are about $800, I am having a hard time justifying it though as a grinder can do that job easily, that said I could find I go through $200 in blades smiley I am also building a roof and may have some clever counter-weighted lift-up walls, a plasma cutter would be very useful for that. As with most tools they aren't worth the money for a single job but over the years you really do get your money's worth from them.

Generator..   noise pollution in the bush..   
Can't be helped, and worth it not to be connected to the grid IMO.

the possums will do despicable things on your roof for keeping them awake.

Not my possums, they are way too cute

This mum and bub live between the truck's cab and the luton peak.

Oh, and did I mention the Quub?

______
Rob

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

An interesting find for me.  At American Science and Surplus they have an random old IC bin and I picked through it and found about eleven CERDIP/quartz window EPROMs and about a dozen 7800 chips.  They all tested out good.  I have a tester that can test most common 7800s and after I removed stickers, cleaned them up, and straightened pins, I erased the EPROMs and then blank checked them, programmed them with random data, and verified them a few times.  All work.  Thirty cents each, a nice score.

2x 2716, Intel
1x 27128, AMD
7x 27512, 5x AMD, 1x Intel, 1x TI

An eleventh had a weird plastic base plate to it and in trying to remove it I pulled some pins off so I discarded it.

* CheapEPROMs.jpg (259.67 KB, 1000x951 - viewed 177 times.)

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Been a few years since I used EPROMs.

______
Rob

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi, pity the space shuttle is no more they could have used those eprom chips.

Tom....... smiley

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi, pity the space shuttle is no more they could have used those eprom chips.

Tom....... smiley

Some of the oldest stuff is the most fun to work with.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 67   Go Up
Jump to: