Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

K5CZ

Now I can put the Arduino deep inside the enclosure and the USB port can be still easily accessible...
Arduino Uno R3, Arduino Mega 2560 R3, Ethermega (R3), and some Ethernet Shields (R3), Chronodots, TMP36 sensors, DS18B20 sensors, LCDs/TFTs, RS232C to learn and play...

Graynomad

I can't think of any way to make this Arduino related, but what the heck.

I just bought some blacksmithing tools and I plan to set up a space for them, somewhere I can teach myself more about this craft (I have done some before).

Why? I really need a hobby that has nothing to do with computers or even electricity. I'll always be "into" embedded electronics, but a bloke needs some perspective and I've spent too many years sitting on my arse looking at computer screens.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

rockwallaby

No need to be so modest Rob, I know that these 'new' tools are in fact the latest range for PCB and assembly.
I notice you got the funky porpose built SMD set, for very fine work, right?
I know you'll be using them soon on the new Quub boards that are currently being built.

But that first tool in your photo list, I'm unsure what that is used for and can only guess it is for bit banging, I know you like serial protocols, right?  :smiley-mr-green:
____
Paul

Graynomad

Yes that first item is for banging a bit, or indeed a lot, according to the protocol requirements.

It may actually be quite useful (in conjunction with a 3-pound ball-peen hammer) for fixing electronic devices that piss me off, my iPad for example.

______
Rob

Jack Christensen

It may actually be quite useful (in conjunction with a 3-pound ball-peen hammer) for fixing electronic devices that piss me off, my iPad for example.

I was just thinking the same. We call that "percussive maintenance" here.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

retrolefty

Just shows that hardware type people use real hardware tools, not those wimpy virtual tool chains that those wimpy software types talk about.  ;)

Graynomad

Just shows that hardware type people use real hardware tools, not those wimpy virtual tool chains...

My sediments exactly, time to man up I think :)

GCC, Going Completely Crazy.

percussive maintenance

Yes an expression we use as well, it seemed to work better with older equipment though, like CRT TVs etc.

______
Rob

TomGeorge

May 06, 2014, 05:14 am Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:19 am by TomGeorge Reason: 1
Hi, Rob, isn't it interesting what they can make with 3D printer, don't leave them in the sun too long.

Nice stuff mate, now do you have a blowtorch and shellite fueled plumbers soldering iron.

And it is Arduino related, blacksmithing will excercise zee litle grey cells, after getting them totally fried on the forum, lol.

Tom....... :)

PS, You could get another anvil and with a bit of gun power and a bit of space, blow one high into the stratosphere, just for fun. Place anvils, one on top of the other, top face to top face with power in the cavity, BOOM, hundreds of feet straight up. One of those obscure PayTv programs.
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

GoForSmoke

I have 2 x
Serial SPI 2.8"TFT LCD Module Display 320x240 Optional Touch Screen

ordered and hoping that not buying the adapter/Arduino module was the right choice.

It does say SPI and I did go for the ZIF socket, it should provide some kind of breakout.

Shipping > $6 so I didn't order just 1 but I want to look for gotchas as well as likes before buying more.
On site they have bigger screens with different interfaces and character and graphic displays as well.
2x16 LCD's are on special < $2. But watch the shipping, it defaults to the most expensive.
So for my $6-something I have 10 to 30 days wait.

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/serial-spi-2-8-tft-lcd-module-display-320x240-touch-sceen-arduino

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

TomGeorge

Hi, I'm looking for something like this for an instrument simulator/calibrator which it looks like I will have to make.
It will be ideal to make a virtual analog meter and trend indicator.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

JoeN

May 07, 2014, 08:16 am Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:51 am by JoeN Reason: 1
"One pound" inductor grab-bag.  $13, shipped.  I feel like I got a really good deal on this one, here are the parts sorted out.  I have easily more than 100 of 22uH quality inductors here and almost 100 of 56uH ones that are wrapped, plus lots of other values.  The three prong-devices I don't even know what they are, anyone know?  How about those two 12-prong devices?  It seems to be a signal transformer with multiple taps but I haven't figured it out yet.  (edit:  it is not a multi-tap transformer, it is an array of inductors that can be wired in serial or parallel or both to achieve different inductances or current handling capabilities.  http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/pm600_610_620_series.pdf)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111324033645

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

MAS3

I'm not 100 % sure, but the 3 prong devices look like some LC filter to me, consisting of (ferrite) inductor, capacitor and another (ferrite) inductor.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

cyberteque

Just got my shiny new XMOS Start Kit sample!!!

xCORE-Analog 8-core device with integrated debugger
    micro-USB connection to host debugger
    PCIe connector for sliceCARD add-on boards
    0.1" header compatible with Raspberry PI
    Two 4-zone cap sense sliders
    3x3 LED matrix
    2 additional LEDs
    Push-button switch
    4 ADC inputs
    256KB SPI Flash
    0.1" header for connecting additional startKITs

Not sure what I'll do with it yet!

As an aside...

I keep reading vitriolic comments, especially on Hack a Day about how bad the Arduino environment is, so far I think it's pretty good.
The XMOS composer software is nowhere as intuitive as Arduino, me thinks it'll be a steep learning curve!

Graynomad

I've looked at XMOS a few times over the years, very interesting system.

______
Rob

SirNickity

Hey watch out man, it looks like the board you got actually has a SOWX chip on it.   XD

Go Up