Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67   Go Down
Author Topic: Your latest purchase  (Read 105867 times)
CO, USA
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Unfortunately, Gnome3 which came out in Fedora 15 does not work too well with the graphics chip, since it doesn't have the support for the (useless to me) 3D eye-candy that Gnome3 uses.  This means for the time being I'm locked at Fedora 14, until I reinstall a different distro (or otherwise deal with the incompatibility).

One consequence is I'm locked into version 0.22 until I deal with the Arduino incompatiblities with rxdx and avrdude.

I haven't put it on my main machine yet, but Linux Mint LXDE runs nicely on my old decrepit laptop. IIRC it uses Fluxbox as the WM. You'll still have Gnome libraries, but I think you can turn off the 3D crap, if it's still an issue. I'm at Mint v11, and 13 is already out. Just too lazy to upgrade, and I don't use my laptop much anyway.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

I haven't put it on my main machine yet, but Linux Mint LXDE runs nicely on my old decrepit laptop. IIRC it uses Fluxbox as the WM. You'll still have Gnome libraries, but I think you can turn off the 3D crap, if it's still an issue. I'm at Mint v11, and 13 is already out. Just too lazy to upgrade, and I don't use my laptop much anyway.
Thanks.  I downloaded the LXDE and FXDE Fedora 17 spins last night.  I did a trial install last night.  Evidently, they bumped up the user UID/GID range, and I need to change my UID/GID on the user from 500 to 1000.  Due to the number of Fedora specific hacks/configurations that I've used over the years, I want to stay with Fedora for the time being.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

not to start one of those wars but LXDE is rubbish, use XFCE (which I assume you meant when you posted XFDE) every single annoyance in LXDE (and there are a big ole pile of them) is corrected in XFCE, and if your wanting a middle weight desktop (compared to ICEWM or something) its just one less pain in the ass

IIRC it uses Fluxbox as the WM.

no is uses LXDE, hince the name  smiley-twist
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:37:04 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

Evidently, they bumped up the user UID/GID range, and I need to change my UID/GID on the user from 500 to 1000.
Nah. Maybe someday, but not yet. I ran into this a few years ago, when I switched to Ubuntu. I had a few existing systems with a 501 UID and GID that used to be the default many years ago, and didn't want to mess with changing them.

So I just supplied a dummy name when the installer created the "ordinary user", and added myself manually as 501:501 after the install. So all my systems are still in sync, which is handy because I do a lot of NFS mounts to share data between systems.

I think the plan is that eventually the 500-999 range of IDs will be assigned to system functions like the lower ones, but it hasn't happened yet.  And might never: if the architects are smart, they'll leave the first few unassigned to accomodate all the legacy single-user systems.

The installer will automatically add your dummy user to several groups to give it access to various system resources (typically including the presumed modem port, CD drive, etc).  Be sure to do a "grep dummy_username /etc/group" so you'll know which ones to add yourself to.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

not to start one of those wars but LXDE is rubbish, use XFCE (which I assume you meant when you posted XFDE) every single annoyance in LXDE (and there are a big ole pile of them) is corrected in XFCE, and if your wanting a middle weight desktop (compared to ICEWM or something) its just one less pain in the ass

IIRC it uses Fluxbox as the WM.

no is uses LXDE, hince the name  smiley-twist

Hmmm. I wonder where I got that? Well, something I was trying out recently used it.  smiley-razz ...

Oooooh! Eureka! It uses Openbox. I wasn't too far off then. See, the Desktop Environment isn' t the same as the Window Manager. For example, don't know what it uses now, but Gnome used to use Metacity, and before that, Sawfish. You can run, with varying degrees of success/frustration, many different WMs in Gnome, or KDE for that matter.

Speaking of lightweight, here on the home desktop machine, I run Fvwm, with no DE at all. Yeah, I run some Gnome apps, so I have Fvwm fire up gnome-session when it starts. Used to be you didn't have to do that either, and you could still run Gnome or pure GTK apps. I miss those days. Now, yeah, you can fire up a Gnome app without gnome-session running, but it won't pick up all the settings. Well, I could turn this into a big rant, but I won't. smiley

Last time I tried XFCE I hated it. But, horses for courses, as they say over in left-pondia. I find nothing objectionable about LXDE so far. But then I don't use that laptop as anything but a testbed.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

My 25 protoboards came in.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/double-sided-glass-fiber-prototyping-pcb-universal-board-3-x-7-5-piece-pack-131730

They're bigger than I thought, 5 to a set in small ziplock bags, with bulk rate shipping still less than $4 a bag.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

One of these, I am a sucker for nicely designed musical toys -

Its Arduino based, opensource etc etc so I thought why not buy one and support them.

Duane B

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

My latest purchase is a 20-foot shipping container.

What has this to do with Arduino/electronics?

Well I plan to fit half of it out as a workshop so when we aren't travelling I have somewhere decent to make stuff. At least I'll have a workbench now.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Well I plan to fit half of it out as a workshop so when we aren't travelling I have somewhere decent to make stuff. At least I'll have a workbench now.

______
Rob

Where did you get that, eBay?  What was the shipping cost?  What did they ship it in, a 21-foot shipping container?  smiley-mr-green

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I like it. How about ordering some air, and asking for it to be shipped in a 20-foot shipping container?

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

"don't open up the cabin hatch,
  the air is sure to leave it.
Air is very hard to catch,
  you never will retrieve it!"

(Frank Hayes)

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

We have stripped-down low-price grocery stores here where you -can- buy empty shopping bags.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

What did they ship it in, a 21-foot shipping container?
Yes it begs the question, what do they ship shipping containers in.

How about ordering some air, and asking for it to be shipped in a 20-foot shipping container?
We also got a 24,000ltr water tank, I was hoping to order it pre-filled to save on a second delivery but they wouldn't come at that smiley

_______
Rob

God Member
View Profile

______
Rob

Mobile hackerspace? I'd support something like that.

Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

You want mobile hackerspace, have a look at my truck smiley

http://robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/photos/index.php

The container is for when we drop anchor on our land.

______
Rob

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67   Go Up
Jump to: