Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

JoeN

Beginning to realise I need glasses!

Sad fact of life I'm afraid :(

Try one of the head-mounted magnifiers, they are great, a bit cumbersome but you can really see the small stuff clearly.

______
Rob

After getting the same advice from Grumpy Mike last year I went to Harbor Freight and checked theirs out. The one to get is the most expensive, almost $10 before the discount coupon -- I paid $7. It's got a light and has a box with 4 different double-lenses and clips on the visor I expect to hold the lens at 2 distances though you can put 2 lenses in at once (gets heavy) and maybe see germs with.

The lens flips up or down, the visor does too (and occasionally needs tightening), it's always in the right position as you move your head and it leaves both hands free. I was using a magnifier with base but the visor is so much easier to work with I won't go back. It's well worth the money or even 2x-3x what I paid.

This is the item, compare to the next cheaper one if you go there:
http://www.harborfreight.com/head-strap-magnifier-with-work-light-95890.html

Based on comments on another thread I posted about working with surface mount parts, I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015IP380

More expensive than Harbor Freight but hopefully it is worth it.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

GoForSmoke

If it isn't, try the other as 4 different strength lenses to choose from is really nice.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

JoeN

Nov 16, 2012, 06:04 pm Last Edit: Nov 16, 2012, 10:57 pm by JoeN Reason: 1
Last night Adafruit had 10 Arduino Dues available.  I got mine.  All gone now, sorry.

They just shipped!  WHOOT

Order Confirmation from Adafruit Industries

Thanks for shopping with us today!

The following are the details of your order.
------------------------------------------------------
Products
1 x Arduino Due - assembled (Due) [ID:1076] = $49.95
Sub-Total: $49.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
United States Postal Service (0.19lbs) (First-Class Mail incl. $0.75 insurance): $3.87
Total: $53.82
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

GoForSmoke

I got 100 18mm piezos for $10.40.

They work but not so well as the ones I paid more for and they are flimsy, not suited for hard use but okay as vibration/touch sensors.

I haven't tried yet but I'm not sure they'd last as buzzers either, not after how one came apart.

As buttons, I think a diode will serve to debounce (real fast touch read) but maybe need 4 as a bridge to keep pin-safe?

I also got some CR2025 batteries for a remote and note DealExtreme shipped a 5 pack as ordered but with 1 missing. I won't raise hell over it (maybe 25 cents) but it's not a good sign at all.

Still waiting on 3 bare-board MP3 players with SD adapter and 3 breadboard-ready SD adapters.

GoForSmoke

I got my SD Modules and MP3 players (which were not quite what I thought) and went looking for docs on the SD modules. But there's none posted so I emailed LC China Tech and they say they will datasheets on whatever they make.

I'd like to get opinions of the things they do make, some of the modules psych me up a bit. Like the two that look like they can do USB hosting, and the nice MP3 module and others that should take care of those "Arduino hasn't got the speed" projects.

http://www.lctech-inc.com/Hardware/

I bought the SD modules through DealExtreme, $2.60 each for 3. So far it looks like all it will take to connect to an UNO is 8 female-to-male jumper wires. If I can work them out then just about anyone should be able to use them.  :)

LC tells me they will beat the price on 1 or many without asking what I paid. Also they tell me they take PayPal. However their site looks like it needs help if it's to become hobby-friendly.

Of course soldering up an SD adapter is probably even cheaper.

Go Up