Go Down

Topic: Android tablet and Arduino Board NEWBE question.... (Read 907 times) previous topic - next topic

dangermouse1977

Hi! Ok I have a question that you may be able to help me with. I have an Arduino Mega 2560 board and am wondering about its ability to communicate with an android based tablet device. Essentially I am designing an automated aquarium with a GUI touch-screen interface on an Epad. I would like the GUI to display current parameters (which I think in theory is fine) but when the set-points need to be changed, I would like it to be able to be done from the GUI on the Epad (yes, I realize it would be easier just to upload another sketch, but that's not the point) With the Mega ADK, would this be possible? Also, if it is, would it be easiest to use a spreadsheet as an intermediate piece of software for data logging the data coming from the board. Lol, I'm just learning so any help to put me in the right direction would be great! Love the site, very inspirational!

PaulS

I have an Arduino Mega 2560 board

With the Mega ADK, would this be possible?

Do you have the ADK version? If so, there must be some reason that you bought that particular board. Like, maybe, having read the features of the ADK that the others don't have, and saying "Hey, that's something I need!".

One would think that the feature of the ADK that made you choose it was what the A stood for.

Nick_Pyner

I have an Arduino Mega 2560 board and am wondering about its ability to communicate with an android based tablet device. With the Mega ADK, would this be possible? Also, if it is, would it be easiest to use a spreadsheet as an intermediate piece of software for data logging the data coming from the board.

A lot of this depends on your Android tablet, indeed it could all depend on the tablet. My Android is what made me look at Arduino in the first place but, as much by good luck as good management, I managed to avoid an ADK. 

I have not tried a USB connection with the tablet. For me, that defeats the purpose. I have not tried the WiFi either. I'm not aware of anybody having success with these methods either, but I have heard of success with bluetooth.

I'm only interested in one-way traffic with bluetooth. While others have had success, I have given up. My cheapo Android can see the Arduino bluetooth but refuses to listen to it. I confess I didn't need much persuading to give up as I have a real computer that is not much bigger or heavier than the tablet, is superior in every way, and worked fine first time with the Mega.

On the second point, the Arduino can send data by whatever means to a terminal programme like RealTerm for subsequent use in a spreadsheet, or even directly to Excel. For the latter I use PLX-DAQ, which is a macro for Excel and can be used to display real-time graphs over a given period.

Further, the Arduino can send the data to an interenet service like cosm. While my Android tablet is junk, it has an excellent email reader and the browser works quite well too, so I do use it to monitor the Arduino while on the road.   

Go Up