THE IMPORTANCE OF CAPITALS

after spending an hour on trying 2 type a program from the getting started book ive learnt the importance of capitals in the correct place and also with or without val in brackets.for example 02 it seems the way val is written ,int val = 0; and in, if (val == high ); and val = digitalRead determins if the program will verify.in some places a capital v dosnt seem to matter and in others it does.its very confusing.also the online 02 turn on led button while button pressed isnt the same as the book version with one using val and the other buttonstate or am i missreading it.hopefully the next example will prove easier.many thanks from richard

Most computer languages today are case sensitive and it is a matter of style what to use. Just try to be consequent in your style as that improves readability when you see your own code in 6 months :wink:

Just try to be consequent in your style

Or consistent... :slight_smile:

Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Lefty

retrolefty:
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Lefty

Best....Reply....Ever....</comic book guy>

My apologies, I couldn't help it.

Brad.

No problem, that's was the effect I was going for. You don't know how long I've keep that little beauty under wrap waiting for the proper straight line to use it. :wink:

Lefty

Are you being ironic with your post, or is your shift key broken?

oldgeezer:
after spending an hour on trying 2 type a program from the getting started book ive learnt the importance of capitals in the correct place ...

Capitals are important in English too, you know. You start a sentence with a capital. The word "I" is capitalized, as is "I've".

"trying 2 type" doesn't make sense. Do you mean "trying to type"?

"I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.."

A search for that finds a lot of pictures of horses, and uncles. :slight_smile:

in some places a capital v dosnt seem to matter and in others it does.its very confusing.

It always matters. Where you may think it dosn't is the names of variables, and functions, but these have to be consistant. But by convention if a variable is in all capitals it is a constant given by a #define.

A single = is an assign, make this equal to that.
A double == is a logical comparison, is this equal to that?

If the OP wants to ask nan thing specific then please do.

thank you all for your helP HinTs and tipS.when i was young none of this existed until the sinclair mk14 appeared in the 60,s for home constructers and useres? the :sleeping:n the zx80/81.i still have some of these which use basic as a programming language so may dig one out,make an interface and try my hand.many thanks from richard x bernie

sinclair mk14 appeared in the 60,

Out by at least 10 years. The technology for the Mk14 at that price-point didn't exist until at least the mid 70s.

BTW, you do know that capitalising titles is considered online to be shouting, and rude, don't you?

Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF CAPITALS

oldgeezer:
thank you all for your helP HinTs and tipS

Surely you jest?

The technology for the Mk14 at that price-point didn't exist until at least the mid 70s.

Well 1977 according to this:-

The SC/MP from National Semiconductor is an early microprocessor, which became available in early 1974.

That's pretty close to mid-70s, I think.

Yes I was still in my mid 50s when I was 57. :slight_smile: