Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LCD serial port problem  (Read 462 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

In my project i'm writing commands via the serial port, which then update the LCD depending on which command was sent.

This works fine when the sketch has just been uploaded. However, when the arduino is unplugged and reconnected it can no longer communicate via the serial port unless the reset button is pressed on the Arduino. The Arduino displays the same behaviour when using the SerialDisplay example.

I've been trying to fix this problem for the last 2 hours, so any help would be most appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue.

When looking at the Arduino i've noticed that 3 of the pins on the FTDI chip are bridged. Is this part of the design or could this be the problem? Arduino is a Duemilenove

Image is attached

Thanks, Craig

* IMG_0612.JPG (1053.8 KB, 2036x1281 - viewed 29 times.)

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

They aren't bridged on my Diecimila so I'm guessing it's a manufacturing error.  Is that a real "Made in Italy" Arduino or a cheaper "Designed in Italy" (and made somewhere in Asia) Arduino?

The official portrait of the Duemilanove has the text "PH-2A 0836" just to the left of the AREF pin.  Similarly my Diecimila has "PH-2 0908" in the same place.  Your board has nothing like that and has a sticker in the corner where a real Arduino says "Mad in Italy".  Look like you got a counterfeit.

If it calls itself an "Arduino" and is not made in Italy by Arduino it's a counterfeit.  If it uses any other name it's a valid "compatible"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:25:22 am by johnwasser » Logged

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

The official portrait of the Duemilanove has the text "PH-2A 0836" just to the left of the AREF pin.  Similarly my Diecimila has "PH-2 0908" in the same place.  Your board has nothing like that and has a sticker in the corner where a real Arduino says "Mad in Italy".  Look like you got a counterfeit.

Mine looks just like his.  It came from Sparkfun and I doubt it is counterfeit.  Check out the photo in this thread: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269743222  It, like mine, has two bridged pins on the FTDI chip but they are nowhere near the bridged ones in the photo provided by the OP.

Don
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:52:12 pm by floresta » Logged

View Profile

Yes, mine looks identical to that photo in the post, so i don't think it's counterfeit. It also has the two bridged pins you mentioned, the map of Italy and made in Italy printed on the back.

I think mine is just faulty, as those other 3 pins are bridged.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will return my arduino for a replacement and hopefully this will solve the serial issues.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: