Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to go about controlling an arduino over a 3G/4G network  (Read 970 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Im new to arduino, and i want to make a simple robot that can be controlled from anywhere. Basically, the robot will consist of a small netbook computer with a mobile network connected to an arduino uno with a motor shield controlling two motors. The audio and video will be taken care of with a skype video call. How can I control this arduino from a separate computer connected to a separate network?

Ive read about using Processing, and i could control the arduino with the netbook, but that still doesnt solve the problem of controling it from another PC.

Ideally, i would like to have it controlled with a joystick or something like TouchOSC so that i can vary the speed. TouchOSC would be great, but it has to be connected to the same wireless network (is there any way around this?)

Could I maybe send serial data from a video game controller to the main PC, through the internet and to the netbook and then the arduino?

Keep in mind that i am new to arduino, fairly new to programming, so tutorials would be appreciated.

View Profile

touchosc
hexler.net/touchosc
http://dduino.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

http://dduino.blogspot.com all my Arduino/electronic projects!!!

{NEW} Getting Started, Learning, Reference + FAQ PDF!!:
[url]http://ar

View Profile

I dont see how thats relevant at all.

Quick update, my friend suggested that i could set up a VPN, so that both computers would be connected to the same network, and i could potentially run touchOSC. Would this work?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Im new to arduino, and i want to make a simple robot that can be controlled from anywhere. Basically, the robot will consist of a small netbook computer with a mobile network connected to an arduino uno with a motor shield controlling two motors. The audio and video will be taken care of with a skype video call. How can I control this arduino from a separate computer connected to a separate network?

Ive read about using Processing, and i could control the arduino with the netbook, but that still doesnt solve the problem of controling it from another PC.

Ideally, i would like to have it controlled with a joystick or something like TouchOSC so that i can vary the speed. TouchOSC would be great, but it has to be connected to the same wireless network (is there any way around this?)

Could I maybe send serial data from a video game controller to the main PC, through the internet and to the netbook and then the arduino?

Keep in mind that i am new to arduino, fairly new to programming, so tutorials would be appreciated.

This is akin to someone asking someone:

"I am new to driving, but I know how to ride a bicycle - I want to drive a racecar in the Indy 500 - does anyone have any tutorials?"

I am not saying it is impossible to do what you are wanting to do - in fact, it is quite possible.

My advice, though, would be to start out small, and work your way up. Learn how to control motors with the Arduino, then learn how to control the Arduino with the computer. Learn how to communicate with the computer via another machine over the 4G network (think about it, this is essentially what skype is doing - albeit with more data - you need to replicate that - this is not a trivial task to understand). You need to learn how to build a mobile robot platform. Heck - you need to learn how to program. There may be some soldering involved.

Trying to do all of this (and more - believe me, there's much more) at one shot - or all at the same time - is a recipe for frustration and possibly failure (it would depend on how stubborn and single-minded you are). Start at the beginning, and work your way up. Break the project up into small chunks. Plan it out - and you'll likely meet with success.

You'll find tutorials out there, but you likely won't be too successful just "stringing them together" - especially if you have little or no understanding of the underlying principles; if you try to do that, you'll end up with an unworkable mess. Even if you have the understanding, you may find it rough going - but you'll have a better shot.

So your first task is to learn how to program the Arduino, control things with it, and get input. Figure out how to get motors to turn with it based on running code, then build a base for the robot using those (or other) motors/gearboxes/wheels. Then learn how to use a computer to communicate with it. Once you are that far, you'll be about halfway there. The next step - networking - is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

BTW - it is doubtful that you'll find a simple shield that will have enough current capability to drive motors required to haul the weight of the motors, batteries, arduino, netbook, etc - around; you'll likely have to use an off-board h-bridge controller. If you don't know understand completely what that means (or how to measure current, etc - btw - do you even have a multimeter?), then that is something else to learn...

Once again - this isn't meant as discouragement or criticism - it is more meant as a "wake up" call: You need to understand and know the basics, and take things step-by-step - otherwise you'll likely find yourself lost and frustrated with a pile of parts (you might even find yourself burning out expensive parts). Take the time to gather the experience and knowledge first.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

I dont see how thats relevant at all.

Quick update, my friend suggested that i could set up a VPN, so that both computers would be connected to the same network, and i could potentially run touchOSC. Would this work?
because touch osc can be used world wide with the correct ports setup...its not relevant because you apparently didnt understand what it does.

the blog link has two posts on how to use TouchOSC with processing, then processing on your home computer could send commands to the robot that were received from the phone.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:09:24 pm by sirbow2 » Logged

http://dduino.blogspot.com all my Arduino/electronic projects!!!

{NEW} Getting Started, Learning, Reference + FAQ PDF!!:
[url]http://ar

View Profile

This is akin to someone asking someone:

"I am new to driving, but I know how to ride a bicycle - I want to drive a racecar in the Indy 500 - does anyone have any tutorials?"

I am not saying it is impossible to do what you are wanting to do - in fact, it is quite possible.

My advice, though, would be to start out small, and work your way up. Learn how to control motors with the Arduino, then learn how to control the Arduino with the computer. Learn how to communicate with the computer via another machine over the 4G network (think about it, this is essentially what skype is doing - albeit with more data - you need to replicate that - this is not a trivial task to understand). You need to learn how to build a mobile robot platform. Heck - you need to learn how to program. There may be some soldering involved.

Trying to do all of this (and more - believe me, there's much more) at one shot - or all at the same time - is a recipe for frustration and possibly failure (it would depend on how stubborn and single-minded you are). Start at the beginning, and work your way up. Break the project up into small chunks. Plan it out - and you'll likely meet with success.

You'll find tutorials out there, but you likely won't be too successful just "stringing them together" - especially if you have little or no understanding of the underlying principles; if you try to do that, you'll end up with an unworkable mess. Even if you have the understanding, you may find it rough going - but you'll have a better shot.

So your first task is to learn how to program the Arduino, control things with it, and get input. Figure out how to get motors to turn with it based on running code, then build a base for the robot using those (or other) motors/gearboxes/wheels. Then learn how to use a computer to communicate with it. Once you are that far, you'll be about halfway there. The next step - networking - is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

BTW - it is doubtful that you'll find a simple shield that will have enough current capability to drive motors required to haul the weight of the motors, batteries, arduino, netbook, etc - around; you'll likely have to use an off-board h-bridge controller. If you don't know understand completely what that means (or how to measure current, etc - btw - do you even have a multimeter?), then that is something else to learn...

Once again - this isn't meant as discouragement or criticism - it is more meant as a "wake up" call: You need to understand and know the basics, and take things step-by-step - otherwise you'll likely find yourself lost and frustrated with a pile of parts (you might even find yourself burning out expensive parts). Take the time to gather the experience and knowledge first.

Haha, I guess that was a mistake on my part, "new" being sort of a relative term. Ive already played around with the arduino quite a bit, so i dont think getting the arduino to talk will be a problem. Also yes, ive considered the possibility that the motors wont have enough power, but the idea of everything running off of the netbook battery was so appealing, I decided that it will be a problem when i get to it. I think that the main difficulty i will be having is getting the devices to talk to each other.

I tried out processing today, and TouchOSC is working perfectly with the PC, but the PC isnt communicating with the arduino. Once I figure this out, I think i can eliminate the ball of networking wax as you say, if a VPN can connect these devices together.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: