Go Down

Topic: 1.0.2 wifi problems (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi,
Need some help please. I just installed the new v1.0.2 release and tried to compile and upload the new wifi examples. I have a Uno board with a Cu wifi shield and a Linksprite Diamondback board and none of the examples will run on either board.
Eg the ConnectNoEncryption example compiles and loads but fails at the first test on the wifi module:-
"WiFi shield not present" is seen on the serial monitor, so it looks like it cant see the wifi module.

Now previously I have successfully used wifi on both boards in v1.0.1 so I know the hardware is ok. But now the really wierd thing .... I cannot compile any of my old sketchs EVEN IN v1.0.1 if they include Wifi. Sketchs with no wifi work ok. I get compile errors eg:-

In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino 1x0x1\arduino-1.0.1\libraries\WiShield/WiServer.h:44,
                 from TruckAlarm.cpp:19:
C:\Program Files\Arduino 1x0x1\arduino-1.0.1\libraries\WiShield/server.h:65: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef struct conn_state uip_tcp_appstate_t'
C:\Program Files\Arduino 1x0x1\arduino-1.0.1\libraries\WiShield/webclient.h:106: error: 'uip_tcp_appstate_t' has a previous declaration as 'typedef struct webclient_state uip_tcp_appstate_t'

So I got 2 problems.
1) How can I make v1.0.2 work with my wifi?
2) How can I fix v1.0.1 so I can compile my old sketchs?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Steve

PaulS

I just installed the new v1.0.2 release and tried to compile and upload the new wifi examples.

The ones that are for the WiFi shield that Arduino sells?

I have a Uno board with a Cu wifi shield and a Linksprite Diamondback board and none of the examples will run on either board.

Well, there's a surprise.

Now previously I have successfully used wifi on both boards in v1.0.1 so I know the hardware is ok. But now the really wierd thing .... I cannot compile any of my old sketchs EVEN IN v1.0.1 if they include Wifi. Sketchs with no wifi work ok. I get compile errors

Which library are you using? Where is it installed?

Thanks for the reply.

I just installed the new v1.0.2 release and tried to compile and upload the new wifi examples.

The ones that are for the WiFi shield that Arduino sells?
Yes as they are delivered with v1.0.2. Straight off the download with no mods they dont seem to be able to detect the wifi module. Only change I made is I entered my SSID and they all compiled and uploaded with no errors.

I have a Uno board with a Cu wifi shield and a Linksprite Diamondback board and none of the examples will run on either board.

Well, there's a surprise.
May I ask why you are not surprised? Is there a better version of the wifi board I could try?

Now previously I have successfully used wifi on both boards in v1.0.1 so I know the hardware is ok. But now the really wierd thing .... I cannot compile any of my old sketchs EVEN IN v1.0.1 if they include Wifi. Sketchs with no wifi work ok. I get compile errors

Which library are you using? Where is it installed?

Answer .....
After loading v1.0.2 I have 3 versions of arduino installed on my pc, each in a different directory and I start the exe directly from the directory, I have v18, v1.0.1 and v1.0.2. 
In v1.0.1 I downloaded a wifi library from https://github.com/asynclabs/WiShield_user_contrib and after making the changes recommended here http://www.sundh.com/blog/2012/02/make-wishield-work-in-latest-arduino-ide/ I successfully got the webserver code to work in my projects. It was never very reliable but with a watchdog rebooting the code before every use it met my requirements.
The library was installed under the v1.1.0 directory exactly as the original installation.
arduino-1.0.1/libraries/WiShield.

Presumably by installing and running v1.0.2 that compiler has made changes somewhere in my v1.0.1 library but I cant see where. I'm starting arduino.exe in the 1.0.1 directory and I checked its version and its 1.0.1 for sure.

Oh by the way I am changing the apps-conf.h file to uncomment the server/client

Thanks for your help.

PaulS

Yes as they are delivered with v1.0.2. Straight off the download with no mods they dont seem to be able to detect the wifi module. Only change I made is I entered my SSID and they all compiled and uploaded with no errors.

But they are designed for a specific WiFi shield, not any WiFi shield.

Code: [Select]
May I ask why you are not surprised?
If you have an ENCJ-based ethernet shield, could you reasonably expect code written for a W5100-based ethernet shield to work? Of course not. The same reasoning applies here. The chipsets are different.

Is there a better version of the wifi board I could try?

The one that the library is written for.

The library was installed under the v1.1.0 directory exactly as the original installation.

User downloaded libraries do NOT go in the core library folder.

Thanks for the reply.

But they are designed for a specific WiFi shield, not any WiFi shield.

Ok did'nt realise that. How do I find out which shields they work with? Can't see anything in the code or the library.

Code: [Select]
May I ask why you are not surprised?
If you have an ENCJ-based ethernet shield, could you reasonably expect code written for a W5100-based ethernet shield to work? Of course not. The same reasoning applies here. The chipsets are different.

Ok thanks I will research my hardware harder and try to determine what I actually have.

Is there a better version of the wifi board I could try?

The one that the library is written for.

User downloaded libraries do NOT go in the core library folder.

Ok thanks where would you put them?

Thanks again for the info.

pylon

Ok did'nt realise that. How do I find out which shields they work with? Can't see anything in the code or the library.

The libraries in the IDE are for this shield (and no other one): http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield

Ok thanks where would you put them?

In your sketchbook folder (on Linux this is at $HOME/sketchbook, the other operating systems probably have similar locations) you should create a subdirectory named "libraries" (if it doesn't already exist) and put the library folder in there.

Go Up