Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno getting really hot, not in sync, won't upload. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I've had my Arduino for a few months now, but today it has stopped working. It won't upload, the ATMEGA chip gets really hot to the touch (but no other parts), the L LED stays on unless I hold down the reset button, and only the RX LED flashes when I upload. Did I fry my board? :(

spycatcher2k

What board is it? What were you doing when it failed? is it just the atmea that gets hot - or other parts to? how are you powering it?

We just don't have enough info to help.
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

Arduino Uno with an ATMEGA32 chip. I simply had it plugged in when it failed, with a blank program loaded (nothing in the void setup or void loops, because I was about to start controlling a servo arm). Just the atmega gets hot, nothing else. And finally, I'm powering it through the USB cable.

retrolefty

You didn't plug the chip in back asswards in it's socket did you? It will go two ways, one way is interesting, the other way, just hot.

Lefty

You mean the ATMEGA chip? No, I haven't touched that thing. It's been working just fine as is for the last few months. :/

James C4S

If the chip is getting hot, it is likely damaged.  There is no normal reason for it to be hot.

Remove the chip and verify your 5V supply is actually 5V.  If it is, you'll need to get a new ATmega328.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Checked, it's definitely 5V. If I get a new chip, will I have to do anything or do I just slap it in?

James C4S

Checked, it's definitely 5V. If I get a new chip, will I have to do anything or do I just slap it in?

It is a simple swap if you purchase a chip with the bootloader already burned on it.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Alright, thanks... I just hope nothing else went with it. :(

Go Up