Go Down

Topic: Anyone in Phoenix Arizona? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

artjumble

Tuesdays is ok (as long as it isn't this Tuesday as I am in Santa Barbara right now).

I think 1 or 2 hours would be fine for a time frame. Other groups I have been part of have been 1 hour, but then a lot of people stick around longer.

As far as age, I think it should be open. I don't see any reason to block younger folks. A parent is probably a good idea at least to start with.

If Bookmans doesn't work out, what about a coffee shop? I know the coffee place by my house (unfortunately not centrally located) would be happy to have us. There is a group that meets there and call it 'Gangplank West'.

cr0sh

Tuesdays is ok (as long as it isn't this Tuesday as I am in Santa Barbara right now).

Highly unlikely to be this Tuesday, so you're ok there!

I think 1 or 2 hours would be fine for a time frame. Other groups I have been part of have been 1 hour, but then a lot of people stick around longer.

Ok - I'll keep this in mind as I work things out; perhaps for this first meeting, we'll keep it to an hour, and see where it goes from there. I think that will be fair for all parties involved.

As far as age, I think it should be open. I don't see any reason to block younger folks. A parent is probably a good idea at least to start with.

Ok - we'll do it that way then, unless I hear opposing argument from others (does anyone else have input?).

If Bookmans doesn't work out, what about a coffee shop? I know the coffee place by my house (unfortunately not centrally located) would be happy to have us.

Approximately where is this at? I don't consider Bookmans to be very central either, but it is better than Chandler. I just thought of it because I knew they had a meeting space. If I were going for a coffee house, I might go for Willow House (is it still there?) in central downtown PHX. I also know of a coffee house in old-town Glendale that might be a possibility. The thing I don't like about coffee houses or other businesses (like a Dennys) is the possibility of monopolizing a table/booth/area, as well as noise (both ambient and our own). I know in some groups I've been in, this has led to getting kicked out (but then again, that could've been the group dynamic, too).

There is a group that meets there and call it 'Gangplank West'.

Are you saying there is already a "hackerspace" or similar gearing up? Should we pair with them? Are we to be only oriented to Arduino, or something more general? Or general, with an Arduino flavor?

Hmm...

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

cr0sh

It's looking like Tuesday will work out; HeatSync runs things on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I guess we'll see how things progress...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

artjumble

Code: [Select]
Approximately where is this at?
Near 59th Ave and the 101. Next Coffee

Are you saying there is already a "hackerspace" or similar gearing up? Should we pair with them? Are we to be only oriented to Arduino, or something more general? Or general, with an Arduino flavor?

It is pretty much just a group that meets and works at the same table during the day on Thursdays (last I heard). There really isn't a point as far as I know.

cr0sh

Well, I haven't heard anything back from Bookmans, so tonight after work I am going to stop by and ask about the process in-person (and maybe ask who is checking the email). I'll post here later what I find out.

cr0sh

Well, I stopped by Bookmans today; they told me they didn't think they were booking any more events, but gave me a card for their events contact.

I also stopped by a Denny's at I-17 and Northern (just down the road from Bookmans); they have a meeting room that they said was "free" if everyone bought dinner, otherwise they said they thought it was $50.00 for the night - I would have to call their manager to set it up, regardless, to work out a spot (the guy I spoke to said Tuesday was a pretty booked night by other groups). I don't think doing this would be a bad thing for the future, but without know who or how many would show up, it probably isn't the best option for this first meeting.

Does anybody have any other options? Maybe for this first time we pick a time for next Tuesday (if that's ok) and meet at "Next Coffee". I am not thrilled about the location (I'd like something more central), but for now, starting out, it is probably as good as any? Maybe this time could be informal and we can figure out something better for next time?

Post if you're in the Phoenix area and would be interested in attending such a prelim event; I'd like to get an idea of how many people to expect. So far it sounds like me and artjumble; surely there's more...?

Jeremy1998

Maybe me... You will have to tell me exactally when and where once it is official... I would have to talk to my dad before hand...

cr0sh

Maybe me... You will have to tell me exactally when and where once it is official... I would have to talk to my dad before hand...

I definitely intend to post here when a solid decision on when and where to meet occurs. My fear is that I will post something here to meet at a small place, and a very large group will show up (I once saw that nearly cripple a local coffee shop). Which I why I am asking for "a show of hands" here...

artjumble

Of course I am in. I can make sure to have next Tuesday free, so any time in the "after work" range is good (I work from home so I have a lot of freedom on when after work is :))

I would like to also suggest that if we don't get a big enough group to support regular meetings that we consider checking out the HeatSync meetings and see if we would want to try to partner with them. Possibly they would be willing to have one meeting a month in a more central location.

cr0sh

Of course I am in. I can make sure to have next Tuesday free, so any time in the "after work" range is good (I work from home so I have a lot of freedom on when after work is )

I think next Tuesday is a strong possibility; as far as "after work" and what it means for me is "anytime after 6pm" - since I work regular hours at an office.

I would like to also suggest that if we don't get a big enough group to support regular meetings that we consider checking out the HeatSync meetings and see if we would want to try to partner with them. Possibly they would be willing to have one meeting a month in a more central location.

I'm certainly open to something like that; if there aren't enough people (or even perhaps if there is), doing a "branch" with them would likely be preferable, as it would free up needing to do the management of the group beyond having the meetings, plus not having to set up a web site and all that other administrative stuff. I'd like to see this as a cooperative endevour with them.

Does anybody think I should get in contact with them before this first meeting, or should we first see where things go before then?

cr0sh

Ok, everyone - I've decided that for this first meeting, we'll be meeting at the coffee shop artjumble mentioned, Next Coffee, at 59th Avenue and the 101, next Tuesday, June 29th, between 6 and 7pm.

This meeting is open to all ages, but I ask that minors (those under 18 years of age) be accompanied by an adult, parent or guardian.

I plan to get there as soon as possible, but if you get there before me, let someone (server or manager) at the coffee shop know that you are there representing the Arduino meeting and that you have a table reserved by Andrew Ayers (me). Also, please post a small sign reading "Arduino" or something to that effect so that others can find us as they show up.

I am figuring on 5-10 (maybe fewer) people showing up; I called a few minutes ago and spoke to someone to reserve a table. They took down my request and information to give to their manager. They also told me that they had a conference room available for around $20.00 an hour, which may be something to consider in the future, depending on how large our group grows.

For this first meeting, I am intending for it to be informal, a chance to see each other, and perhaps discuss where we want to take the group as a whole. If you want to bring a small project you are working on, feel free (have some consideration - don't expect to set up a full electronics workbench there). The meeting should last 1-2 hours, maximum, until the shop closes at 8pm.

Also, please purchase some coffee or other products from Next Coffee to show our appreciation for them letting us use their space for our meeting.

To recap the annoucement:

Where: Next Coffee @ 59th Ave and the 101 (view map)
When: Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 @ 6-7pm
Length: 1-2 hours (or until closing @ 8pm)

See all of you there!

Jeremy1998

So is there an entry fee? Or is it just the profit they make from selling coffee? Also, what exactally do we bring? Laptops? Arduino? What?

cr0sh

So is there an entry fee?

This is just an "initial get together" - an attempt to see what the group is, who will show up, etc. There is no "fee" or "dues" - just show up. We may discuss such things as membership fees or dues, formalities, etc - though I really think that should be something for a future meeting perhaps.

Or is it just the profit they make from selling coffee?

The coffee shop is -not- a part of this get together; I simply called them, asked if they would mind if we got a table, and that was it. I am -asking- that attendees purchase their product as a way of saying "thanks for letting us congregate here". They are, after all, a business first, and they don't know us from Adam, as the saying goes.

Also, what exactally do we bring?

Well, first and foremost, bring yourself and your ideas about what this group should be.

Laptops?

If you want - I can't guarantee if there will be outlets enough to use (or if there are any period!) - so make sure it is fully charged.

Arduino?

If you have one or a small project which uses one, certainly.

What?

Ultimately, I would like to focus on where and what this group should be; whether it should focus on the Arduino exclusively, or become something more open, such as a hacker space or a robotics-oriented group. Or something else that I am not able to think of. To this end, it would be best if you only brought yourself and your ideas - but if you have something cool to show, or a major question vexing you that only having the physical project with you will help (and it isn't too big) - then bring it...

Remember, though, that this is a coffee shop with regular customers; we don't want to chase off those customers by being too loud or outlandish or obnoxious - which I don't expect anyone to be, but having been a part of a group back in the early 1990s that was banned from Metro Center and the Barnes and Noble at that same mall, I know how this sometimes happens. So we need to respect the business we are using for this small gathering (or at least, I hope it is small! I mean, I would welcome seeing 100+ Phoenix Arduino fans, but it would make for a uncomfortable first meet at a small coffee shop at the same time!), and thank them for being so gracious as to allow us the use of their space.

Perhaps also as part of this meeting we can decide to either continue meeting there (and depending on the size of the group, paying the fee to meet in the conference room), or decide on another place to meet next time.

Jeremy1998

Ok. Now I understand... Still sounds fun... I will talk to my dad and see what he says.

artjumble

Sounds great. I'll see you there.

Also, please purchase some coffee or other products from Next Coffee to show our appreciation for them letting us use their space for our meeting.

For anyone who isn't in to coffee, or thinks it will be too late for coffee, they usually have some great food too.

If you want - I can't guarantee if there will be outlets enough to use (or if there are any period!) - so make sure it is fully charged.

They do have a moderate number of outlets.

What?

I would like to point out that soldering would be a big no-no at this location (food + toxic fumes = bad).

Go Up