Go Down

Topic: So many members... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

Feb 17, 2012, 11:50 am Last Edit: Feb 18, 2012, 12:59 am by AWOL Reason: 1
...and so few posts.

We've just gone through the 65 000 forum members mark, but over 40% of members have not a single post to their names, and well over 85% have ten or fewer posts.

What's wrong?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

pYro_65

Feb 17, 2012, 11:57 am Last Edit: Feb 17, 2012, 12:01 pm by pYro_65 Reason: 1
I noticed a lot of them are spam ID's or auto generated ID's. I posted this a few weeks back when the server was having its slow issues.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,87861.0.html, would free up username's for people that actually want to use them.

There are most probably people who sign up once just to download an attachment, ones who have disagreements and quietly re-register, spam-bots, people re-registering just cos of a changed e-mail or lost password, and some silly people die.

Doesn't really account for 25000 zero post accounts though, I agree

AWOL

Feb 17, 2012, 03:51 pm Last Edit: Feb 17, 2012, 06:24 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
I cull accounts very early that are blatent advertising, ("Super Mario Party Supplies", "Plumbing services in Toronto" in the signature, or one that post stuff like "I think this is so"/"nice work" with a link to OT products), and repeat offenders get particularly vigorous attention.

What also shows up strongly is how few of these banned accounts ever appear on the ban log, which is triggered whenever a banned account tries to login, meaning that the account was only ever intended to be found by indexing the member profile pages.

I take your point in your other post about early registered accounts with zero posts, though - seems like a good idea.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Coding Badly

meaning that the account was only ever intended to be found by indexing the member profile pages

Which, as far as I can tell, are not indexed by Google.  Makes me wonder who pays them.  And why.

Coding Badly

We've just gone through the 65 000 forum members mark, but over 40% of members have not a single post to their names, and something well over 85% have ten or fewer posts.
What's wrong?

I've wondered that as well.  Next generation especially shy?  Regular posters too abrasive?  Google provides the answer?

Go Up