Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: So many members...  (Read 2650 times)
Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

...and so few posts.

We've just gone through the 65 000 forum members mark, but over 40% of members have not a single post to their names, and well over 85% have ten or fewer posts.

What's wrong?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:59:15 pm by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

North Queensland, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

I noticed a lot of them are spam ID's or auto generated ID's. I posted this a few weeks back when the server was having its slow issues.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,87861.0.html, would free up username's for people that actually want to use them.

There are most probably people who sign up once just to download an attachment, ones who have disagreements and quietly re-register, spam-bots, people re-registering just cos of a changed e-mail or lost password, and some silly people die.

Doesn't really account for 25000 zero post accounts though, I agree
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:01:34 am by pYro_65 » Logged

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I cull accounts very early that are blatent advertising, ("Super Mario Party Supplies", "Plumbing services in Toronto" in the signature, or one that post stuff like "I think this is so"/"nice work" with a link to OT products), and repeat offenders get particularly vigorous attention.

What also shows up strongly is how few of these banned accounts ever appear on the ban log, which is triggered whenever a banned account tries to login, meaning that the account was only ever intended to be found by indexing the member profile pages.

I take your point in your other post about early registered accounts with zero posts, though - seems like a good idea.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:24:08 pm by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

meaning that the account was only ever intended to be found by indexing the member profile pages

Which, as far as I can tell, are not indexed by Google.  Makes me wonder who pays them.  And why.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

We've just gone through the 65 000 forum members mark, but over 40% of members have not a single post to their names, and something well over 85% have ten or fewer posts.
What's wrong?

I've wondered that as well.  Next generation especially shy?  Regular posters too abrasive?  Google provides the answer?

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Google provides the answer?

Actually our forum search is very dysfunctional. I use it to check if something has been posted and I can't even filter which sub-forum to search. That should help get more posts but...

I'm still optimistic. I just saw the membership list has over 1,500 junior members and up. I remember myself started to become active when I had 50 posts or so and was trying to help out others instead of just asking questions.

As a matter of fact, I, for one, have been quietly reading for well over a few months before posting my first questions. So my post/day was not accurate with almost a year of no posts (left the forum and came back!). I'm slipping too. Too much work load and not enough sleep. Hope to still be on the first page by summer, when I super-charge and do more here. Maybe some IDs are students trying to find help?!

BTW, microcenter is also selling arduino, very cheaply.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

From my experience of running a support forum, it was nearly impossible to keep up with zero-post users.  I would delete a couple hundred per week and I was not pulling in anywhere near the traffic Arduino.cc does. 

When a new user posts their first time, does their post default to "Notify me of replies"?  I suspect many real posters are hit-and-runs.  Ask their question, but never come back for the replies.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

on forums.hackaday.com, which is no where near the volume of arduino.cc I was pulling the database, load it up to a local sql server, copy n paste the ip, email and username tables into an excel sheet, save as CSV, run that though a lua script against stopforumspam.com's API and remove around 600 users (remember thats per month)

though I am finally starting to hammer into the onwers head that we need to just simply include the api on registration, if your on the blacklist then F-OFF and never even bother with it, which is a very common addon to most forums.

now its semi-automated on the server, there are about 14 users per day flagged as known to be forum spambots between the three fields.

here are some things to keep in mind

1) unlike email spambots it takes an active effort to sign up to a forum, fill in a profile, receive the activation email, and activate the account. This is not some housewife in minnasota with a virus on XP, this takes specific mallicious intent from the party registering and they can rightly go ... themselves right to ...

2) when you let these people abuse your system they share in the fact that you are a soft target, in the beginning of January I was banning IP's, and email's of 200 accounts a week, when I dropped the hammer it went down to about 25 per day, now with the BS system in place its down by 10, if we caught them on registration it would be less than once per quarter

3) spambots eat your server alive, I had this problem with irshell's website, a site that was hitting 2 mil UNIQUE visitors per year. this was more or less a sony psp operating system and very popular. Before I took over as admin the site was taken down at least once a month due to CPU usage on a basic forum. When I relaunched the site under joomla CMS system, we were able to launch a new version of the software by the author on the same day. That site was able to handle 1.9TB worth of downloads weighing in at 4.8MB each in a 24 hour period

spambots are a nasty problem and you can feel the effects of thousands of them every single day here at arduino.cc
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:38:30 am by Osgeld » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

85% "lurker" rate for a large forum is typical, isn't it?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

I think it is a very good sign that 85% has no post at all, the optimist in me says these are people that search the forum and read answers before they ask questions. I like that.

Statistics calls this a Poisson distribution and you see it in many places. E.g. booksales have a similar curve, the position of darts on a dartsboard, the location of people distributed over the earth, matter/stars in the universe - http://www.astro.rug.nl/~weygaert/knawvoid.topics.php -. It is a law of nature that voids are everywhere and they are big bigger than the non voids.

Another law I like is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law - . One could check if the arduino posters confirm this law too smiley-wink

- update -
Maybe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf%27s_law - is more appropiate
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:33:13 am by robtillaart » Logged

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I hope this is going to the first and only occurrence of Godwin's Law on the forum.

View Profile

Woo-hoo, I get to be the first of the 85 percent to post in this thread.

Is that 85% of all users or 85% of all users that have posted?

Anyway, I have been hanging out here for less than two months and most of my time has spent just soaking up information. I am slowly starting to post as I learn more or see things that interest me.

As for the rest of the 85%, I think they are just scared of AWOL.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I think they are just scared of AWOL.
Scared of cuddly old me?

Nah!

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Another law I like is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law - . One could check if the arduino posters confirm this law too smiley-wink

Or maybe Binford's Law, which I think is something like, "There is almost nothing which cannot be improved by the addition of more power." (Well, maybe's that Taylor's law, instead.)

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Edison Member
View Profile

In reference to google having answers I think this forum is actually better at answering most questions I've come up with, especially with the reliablility of the answers

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: