Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My first own PCB with Atmega328 (programmed with ARDUINO-IDE via programmer)  (Read 3696 times)
cologne, germany
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

...see here:
This (let's call it) gadget starts running the swingboat at least twenty minutes after the last run and then only when the PIR-sensor detects motion. Between the runs there is kind of an attract mode where randomly one out of more than 50 led animations or a peak-meter modus is choosen! At the moment the display only shows one of two randomly choosen movies (you can see both in the video) during attract mode and some simple movies with waves during the boat's run.

This is my first own circuit-board with an ATMEGA328 microcontroller (programmed with ARDUINO-IDE)!
It was a bit risky to do so, because my electronical experiences only consist of a few simple breadboard experiments (connected to an ARDUINO), but after I got my first ATMEGA on a breadboard running I was dying to do my own circuit board. So I was searching for an adequate PCB-CAD and I have been choosing TARGET3001. It is easy to learn as it's usage is quite intuitive!
The non electronical parts and the circuit-board have been designed with 3D CAD (the geometry of the circuit board has afterwards been imported to TARGET3001). The non electronical parts have been laser cutted from 4mm poplar plates.
The circuit-board uses two layers, has 78 parts, 287 pads and 458 through holes. It's main components are:

1xATMEGA328P (µc)
2xTLC59116 (led-driver)
1xl293dd (four channel driver)
1xlm386 (amp.)
1xBPW17N (phototransistor)
2xPHAP3391 (pushbutton)
1xelectret-mic
1xµOLED-96-G1 (0.96" display module with sd-card)
37xLED
1xRF300C (DC-Motor)

There is no linear regulator as the voltage of the wall wart (switching regulator) is stable enough (for my taste).
There also should be an RGB-led inside the PIR-lens, but I accidentally glued the lense to the PIR-board, so I'm not able to insert the led!
I really don't know why I didn't integrate the PIR-sensor onto my board instead of having a big hole in my board to put in an extra PIR-module!
For the led-animations I wrote a (frame based) animation program with PROCESSING that generates header files to be included to the program code.
There are more than 50 animations which don't fit into the memory of the ATMEGA, so I stored all animations on the sd-card of the display-module (which is connected via RX/TX to the ATMEGA).

If I find time I might do a new version with integrated PIR-sensor (with smaller lens), alcohol sensor, two (bigger) displays, an ARM cortex as main µc, RGB leds ("ws 28xx" with integrated driver) and again use sandwich construction, but now instead of wood, I would use plexiglas (or similar) with the electronic parts completley covered!

I might also post the circuit diagram and layout, but as I'm using a free version [PCB-POOL EDITION] of TARGET3001 which is not able to export circuit diagrams and layouts in a format that is readable by other programs, at the moment I only attached a bitmap of the pcb-layout to this post!

I have to admit that the video quality is poor, because of bad lighting/bad camera. Maybe I will upload a better video some day.

If you have questions, enhancement ideas, ..., please let me know!

For those who are interested in the pcb-layout, please find a bitmap of it attached!

* PCB.TIF (598.25 KB, 2480x3508 - viewed 69 times.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:22:49 pm by Joegi » Logged

View Profile

I want to implement Atmega328 on PCB in such a way that I can put my programmed ATMEGA#@* from UNO in PCB and can use it. I also want to do serial communication. Can you help me with the schematic please?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Use this, connect to appropriate pins from MIKROE483
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/mikroElektronika/MIKROE-483/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugsEwyLV5fFyIWdPbushEDhRSvnBE0ODG8%3d
Cost of FTDI chip, connector, other parts, almost the same as the module, and you don't have to solder the little FTDI chip onto anything.

* BareMinimum.jpg (53.95 KB, 960x720 - viewed 69 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

cologne, germany
View Profile

I want to implement Atmega328 on PCB in such a way that I can put my programmed ATMEGA#@* from UNO in PCB and can use it. I also want to do serial communication. Can you help me with the schematic please?
...maybe you should first try this :
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone
Afterwards add every IC you want to use on your PCB to the breadboard and connect it to the ATMEGA (if you want to use ICs which are not available in DIP package try to find breakout boards with those ICs!).
If everything is running you can start with the PCB-CAD!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: