Go Down

Topic: controlling GU10 bulbs (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hi guys, I'm working with arduino for a few months now, and I'm looking at creating a rough prototype for a lamp based project. Essentially what I need to know is if I can control the brightness of a GU10 LED bulb with my arduino? If so, could any tell me how?

If you can open up one, and see what kind a constant current chip inside, than probably we could figure out how to "up-grade" design, other way you can't change a brightness of the bulb which has current regulator build-in.

I see, I was hoping there'd be a quick solution to save me having to create a solution to doing it, would probably just be easy to solder a few LEDs together, right?

Yes, I think so. It doesn't worse to play with mains for a few leds only, even if there was simple way to control current, you still would be facing safety issue.

Is it a dimmable bulb? You could always go really ghetto and use a standard mains dimmer switch attached to a servo controlled by the Arduino. That would be the quickest and safest method imo. Not pretty or particularly clever but it would work.

I will being doing something similar with a GU10 tracklight.  The GU10 bulbs are 110V halogen and the tracklight is dimable using a standard wall dimmer.  But the project will replace the 4 bulbs with 3W RGB LEDs that will be arduino controlled.  But to do this, I have to gut each of the housings and run wires in the track to the arduino that will be housed in the ceiling and powered by a 5V transformer.  The arduino will then control the colors/intensity of the bulbs by PWM signals to MOSFETs that power the LEDs. 

Is this similar or are you starting with something different?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131