Re: Arduino Hacklab NYC

curious 2

Good timing, we are planning one for next Saturday, Jan. 19th 2008 at 11am. We will be meeting at ITP/NYU @ 721 Broadway, 4th Floor. Please RSVP to me: hans@eds.org so I can give a list of names to security. This date/time/location is might have to change, so just double-check this thread to make sure it hasnt changed.

WOW! just missed it by a day..... btw, any age restricitions? and what is disscused at hacklab?

There was also lots of discussions related to xbee, specific standoffs for snapping on shields, the Diecimila noise problem, and other things I don't know about. We got a couple cool demos of projects in process:

• lithium battery shield with charging from the USB (Chris Ladden/avrman)
  • little touchscreen LCD shield with library (Chris Ladden/avrman)
  • 320x240 screen with image/video control via serial with library (Jeff Hoefs)

We have a date for the next one, we are doing it at Eyebeam on Saturday, Feb 23rd, noon until 6pm as part of their Open Lab/Education Lab. More details to follow.

The next hacklab is on for this Saturday! I hope y'all can make it!

540 W. 21st Street, (between 10th and 11th Avenues)
New York, NY 10011
Tel. 212.937.6580

Time:
Saturday, Feb 23rd
noon til 6pm (come early so you can get some work done!)

im woundering weather i should go or not...

i believe that for my age, i am "advanced" at these types of things, but probably for your ages, im "medium, to slow" on things like arduino...

Just some q's to see how well id fit in at hacklab:

what aged people do you usually get in? i know u don't asks for ages, but can you make a guestamit?

How well is electronics and arduino needed to be known, like how in depth? ( you can ask like an example question you guys would ask each other and know easily to test my knowledge.. )

thats it ! lol, hope to hear from you!

-big93

The normal age range is probably twenties to fourties, but it would be good to spread that range on either end. There isn't necessarily a minimum skill level needed to attend, as long as you keep in mind that this is an environment to work on projects rather than a workshop or a help session.

We have a new location for this month's hacklab, NYC Resistor, a new hacker space in downtown Brooklyn.

397 Bridge St., Brooklyn, NY 11201
5th floor - Look for the pack of resistors on the door
Tel. +1.212.931.0593 (shop phone)

Time:
next Saturday, March 29th
11am til 5pm (come early so you can get some work done!)

Also, there is a related event there tonight, the Microcontroller Study Group, it is more newbie friendly for those who want to warm up for the hacklab:

We had a good time last Saturday, there was a stuffed frog that was successfully turned into a pong controller, some struggles and successes with getting 70 RGB LEDs controlled by one arduino, and the first prototype of an arduino-powered Barbot, which served very stiff drinks later that day at the NYC Resistor Rent Party.

We have a date and new location for the next hacklab, thanks to our hosts Jeff Hoefs, Laura Garcia-Barrio, and Ted Booth of Smart Design (more details will come later):

Saturday, April 26th, noon-6pm

Smart Design

601 W. 26th St., Suite 1820

I just set up a permanent page for the NYC Arduino Hacklab, please add info to it, if you have any, especially pictures from previous events:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/NYCHacklab

Wednesday, July 1st
6-9pm
Downtown Brooklyn, NY, USA

NYC Resistor has regular 'study groups' where people come to work on the same topic, next Wednesday the topic is Arduino. Its an open environment to come work on Arduino projects with others who are doing the same time.

(basically its the same idea as the Arduino Hacklabs I've been organizing, but perhaps a bit less formal).

This Study Group is part of a regular series of such events at NYC Resistor, other topics have been Android, Blender, and Python. Check the website for the upcoming schedule, or subscribe to the calendar:

First post, newb here. Pardon the stupid question but does anyone know whether there's a brick and mortar store in NYC that sells Arduino and related shtuff? Thanks!

The NYU Computer Store sells arduinos, sensors, etc.

What about Colorado?

lol, or maybe San Francisco ?

nice

LadyAda is not brick and mortar, but she is in NYC. So you should get your stuff fast.

oh.I'd love to participate too far here.

any update on this? any upcoming dates for NYC workshops?