Go Down

Topic: Com 3 already in use error message after installing tera term (Read 108 times) previous topic - next topic

sholtob

I installed terminal emulation software called tera term following instructions from this instructable, My computer, running windows 8, wouldn't run the version linked in the instructions so I downloaded the latest version, while setting up the software I ticked the box to connect to my arduino over com 3  and since doing that I can't upload any sketches, I get the following error message

"  This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 + Td: 1.20 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Arduino Uno"
Binary sketch size: 3,586 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port 'COM3' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:173)

at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:77)

at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)

at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1677)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1622)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)

at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2496)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port 'COM3' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:101)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)

at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1677)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1622)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)

at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2496)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) "

I have tried connecting tera term to my ip address so its no longer taking up the serial port, closing it and uninstalling it but none of these things solved the problem, I tried to connect tera term to another serial port but the only one available was com 3, the only other idea I've had is to change the serial port used by the arduino but that seems like a bit of a silly workaround, I'm pretty stuck so any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated, thanks very much.

Go Up