Go Down

Topic: Mabuchi RD657806 Motor Specs? (Read 732 times) previous topic - next topic

justjed

Just going through the remains of a Canon scanner I took apart. I guess I should have saved the board this was plugged into -- maybe it would provide clues.

Anyways, I have searched and searched for any info on this motor. It isn't even listed at Mabuchi's website.  FWIW, it was driving the inkjet head, using a MXL belt drive. It has 2 leads.

Any info appreciated. I believe the Canon PN is QK1-3714, which go me nowhere as well.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Zapro

What do You need to know ?

Look at the power supply for the printer, the voltage on it is probably the max voltage you should feed the motor, simple as that.

// Per.

justjed

What do You need to know ?

Look at the power supply for the printer, the voltage on it is probably the max voltage you should feed the motor, simple as that.

The more I know before hooking it up to electrons, the better off I am. Starting from a position of knowing nothing more than the model # and that it has 2 leads, almost any suggestions will help. And there's always the possibility that someone will have already played around with this particular motor, so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Mostly, I want to not smoke it in the process of messing with it.

I'll have to find where I put the PS. Thanks.

Elijahg

Standard DC motors are pretty tough. From my experience, you can feed them pretty much whatever voltage you like, the only limit is too much speed causing it to disintegrate, or overheat. A printer motor is probably 5v or more likely 12v. Feeding it too many volts within reason won't do it any harm, just start at say 5v and go up from there. If the motor seems to be spinning at an insane speed or getting hot, you know the volts are too high.

justjed

Feb 25, 2012, 06:32 pm Last Edit: Feb 25, 2012, 09:33 pm by justjed Reason: 1

Feeding it too many volts within reason won't do it any harm, just start at say 5v and go up from there. If the motor seems to be spinning at an insane speed or getting hot, you know the volts are too high.

Thanks, I'll try that.

ETA: Draws 47.3mA @5VDC, 50.6mA @9VDC, unloaded.

Elijahg

That's not much at all, it must be quite a small motor. I have a motor from an Epson printer that draws 500ma @ 12v no load.

Go Up