Go Down

Topic: Arduino UNO vs Duemilanove (Read 10409 times) previous topic - next topic

macsim

Good morning for all,

I am really new in this topics, and I very interested in Arduino, but I didn't  find difference between UNO and Duemilanove Arduino borads...

I want to buy the latest Arduino Board and I Know that the Duemilanove was released in 2009 but I dont know if the UNO is newer that the last one or not...

I appreciate your attention and I will be attent for your answers.

Miguel Angel.

retrolefty

Feb 20, 2012, 05:33 pm Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 05:35 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1
The Uno board is the latest standard 328p based arduino board, currently at a R3 revision. From a programming point of view there is no real difference between those two boards. Main difference is type of USB serial converter chip used and the Uno's bootloader code is smaller and uploads sketches at a higher baudrate.

Also it is possible to take the 328p chip in a Duemilanove board and have it's bootloader replaced with the Uno version and the board would then have all the advantages of the Uno.

Lefty

I suppose a motor shield that's good for one of the two, is also good for the other. Is that right?

CrossRoads

Yes.
I have two Duemilanove, both have been reloaded with Uno botloader.
If the motor shield is not using the extra I2C pins that the Uno has (near Aref) then it should work on either card. The only difference will be USB/Serial interface as mentioned; on the Uno that interface is re-programmable, on the Duemilanove you cannot reprogram the FTDI chip.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Simpson_Jr

The only difference will be USB/Serial interface as mentioned; on the Uno that interface is re-programmable, on the Duemilanove you cannot reprogram the FTDI chip.

The Uno is a little better in that respect, a Duemilanove will allways show itself as an serial port to your PC.
It's possible to change an Uno to show itself as all kinds of USB-devices.
You could for example have an uno present itself as an game controller, keyboard etcetera.

Go Up