Go Down

Topic: Need some advice on a display for a handicapped communication device (Read 534 times) previous topic - next topic

I live in South Texas and am doing some mission work across the border in Matamoros Mexico. One of the families I have contact with has 3 disabled daughters, and the oldest is unable to speak. She understands conversation and is able to read and write (though with difficulty) They rely on a battery and a small solar panel to supply what little electricity they have. A computer would use too much power, so I am looking for a way to build what used to be called a video typerwriter.

The displays I have seen tend to be tiny and hard to read from very far away, and I would like to make a device so she could type and then show it to someone sitting 2 meters, 6 feet away in a chair.

Might I be able to use multiple displays and a large font?

I am working on u8glib, which includes high resolution fonts with 30 pixel height (http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/fontsize#30_Pixel_Height)
On a 128x64 you will probably be able to show 2 lines of text.

There are a lot of KS0108 based displays available. Also the DOGM128 and DOGL128 displays might be an option. I personally like the NHD-2.7-12864 OLED which is shown as left picture on the u8glib home page:

While not so big, it has an amazing contrast.

Any other suggestions?

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Can she use a full-size keyboard? Can she use multi-tap with built-in predictive function? Maybe even a small android tablet so she can type or draw. It's not more than a few watts. What exactly are you trying to make for her?
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

I think something like this:

might be the best bet. No power, no batteries.
Sometimes low tech is the answer.

--- bill

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131