Go Down

Topic: Turn Timer (teaser) - for the board game fans. (Read 631 times) previous topic - next topic

joshpit2003

Hey guys.

I'm not sure how much overlap there is between arduino and board-gamers,
but I've just finished my Turn-Timer and thought some of you might be interested.

Teaser:

http://turntimer.com/

-Josh!

raschemmel

Is that like an electronic speed-chess timer ?
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,
DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

joshpit2003

Is that like an electronic speed-chess timer ?

yeah, it's similar in the sense that each player gets a button and pushing that button indicates an ending of their turn.

raschemmel

I'm not a gamer. How does this relate to arduino ?

joshpit2003

I'm not a gamer. How does this relate to arduino ?

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that at its core, it's an Arduino.
(actually, an ATMega328P micro controller w/ Arduino bootloader)

Buttons / Rotary Encoder acting as inputs.
LED's acting as outputs.
The micro-controller runs the whole show.

-Josh!

raschemmel

This is the Exhibition /Gallery. It's nice to show off your work but arduino is open source and the spirit , if not the intention of this topic is to present a project with all the documentation and code for others to build it as a DIY. i clicked on your website  link and didn't see any links
so is it your intention to present the schematic and code later ?
If so , would you please also post it here so forum members can see it without having to go to your website ?

joshpit2003

so is it your intention to present the schematic and code later ?

This was just the teaser to see if anyone was interested. The whole thing will be open-source, but I'm not done documenting yet (hence the single-image website) and am still debating over whether or not I should put the time in to design a custom PCB for this project. If enough people show an interest then I may do that, otherwise I'll just have to put together a schematic and let people go to town with their soldering-irons.

raschemmel

So you did this more to test the waters than because of any pressing personal need for such a device ? (I'm not a gamer so I would have no use for it)

joshpit2003

So you did this more to test the waters than because of any pressing personal need for such a device ? (I'm not a gamer so I would have no use for it)

I'm a big gamer. Been playin' every Friday night w/ friends for years now. I needed an Arduino-Project, and I realized a lot of game would benefit from such a device. So I built this one for myself, and I got it in my head that it would be a cool idea to launch a kickstarter (for a kit) if it turned out there were other gamer's that are into DIY stuff. Unfortunately, without a kickstarter to buy at least 100 units worth of goods, the price for a single guy to DIY would be way-high.

I've run a kickstarter before, and I know how much work it is... so if there isn't enough interest then I've got no problem with moving onto the next project. (which unfortunately is not Arduino-based). Best case: there is interest and I can run a successful campaign offering ~100 of these things. Worst case: No campaign, and I just post what I've got thus far so anyone who is interested can build one (hopefully with parts they already have or it becomes wicked-expensive).

Anyhow, I'll keep this thread updated.
Still lots of work to do.

-Josh!

flyingangel

Hi Josh!

I'm a board-game-player and have a question: is it importand how long someone needs for his turn? or is this timer for games with timelimit?

And I see this thread as "Gallery" and there I want something to see. When I go to a gallery and there is just a guy who says that over there should be a picture, i would be angry!

Robert

joshpit2003

is it importand how long someone needs for his turn? or is this timer for games with timelimit?

It's for whatever games you would like to play with a timer. It has been my experience that there are quite a few games out there that would benefit from a timer... and quite a few (slow) players out there that would equally benefit. (myself included).

And I see this thread as "Gallery" and there I want something to see. When I go to a gallery and there is just a guy who says that over there should be a picture, i would be angry!

I'm sorry, but I do not follow. There is a picture on this thread and there will be more pictures in the near future.

Go Up