Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dead Arduinos  (Read 357 times)
Arduino Diecimila through the Uno with an HP G60t (shame...)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Alright gentlemen, here's the story.

In 2009, I was doing a science fair project on hacking a Roomba. I bought 3 Arduinos: 2 Duemilanoves and a Diecimila. I was 11 at the time, and obviously shorted something out because the three Arduinos and the Roomba are all dead. Now, the Arduinos power up and all, but I can't program them. I think that I shorted the power or something and the FTDI chips got fried.

I just bought an Uno R3 from Sparkfun and another one from Radioshack because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait for the Postal Service to deliver my package. The Loop-Back tests failed on each old Arduino. I'm considering replacing the FTDI chips but I've never SMD soldered or hot air reworked before. Does anyone think I can use them for projects but program the ATmega168 chips on the Unos?

Thanks, Alex
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:48:01 pm by wizkidalex » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You can remove a couple of Resistors and isolate the ATmega from the the FTDI chip, reuse the board that way.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Dees anyone think I can use them for projects but program the ATmega168 chips on the Unos?

You can program the 168 in the Uno board just fine.  You might need to use the "Duemilanove w/ 168" option from the board menu.

The board menu is misleading.  It is really "which boot loader do you have."

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: