Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TellyMate examples now Arduino 1.0 compatible  (Read 693 times)
Oxford (England)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've just converted all my TellyMate examples to work with Arduino 1.0.
They're all available for download on the TellyMate Shield examples page.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to re-post a video of my favourite - a performance of the closing credits from 'Portal':

"Still Alive" will actually work just fine without a TellyMate (one line to comment out in the source), but you'll need to watch the output on the serial monitor rather than your TV screen :o) (I'm still hoping that someone will hook it up to something like a serial dasiywheel printer and video the result!)

Very few changes were actually required to move to Arduino 1.0; two main things:
  • Functionality has changed in Serial.print.
    Previously, calling Serial.print( my_byte ) would transmit the raw byte, but under Arduino 1.0, it converts it to a decimal string.
    The fix is to simply call Serial.write( my_byte ).

• There's now a transmit buffer on Serial.
    This caused some timing issues when listening for responses from the TellyMate - very often I'd start listening before the command had even been sent!
    The solution is to simply call Serial.flush() before waiting for a response. That guarantees that all the TX buffer is sent.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Thanks for your effort at keeping up with arduino IDE releases. I'm still enjoying my TellyMate shield purchased a couple of years ago. It's a great product and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a simple analog video output device. SparkFun seems to still be stocking it: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9313

Here is an image of driving a cheap 4.5" LCD display I found on E-bay:

Lefty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: