Arduino Interest in Toronto or Waterloo, Ontario

I'll get the parallel lcd and use the 4 wire library. Should be fine.

If anything, this Arduino Playground - LCD3wires will be a good project for me to work on.

Hey guys, I am really interested in this group, but I live in downtown toronto and I dont have a car, so im sorta stuck. Does anyone have a suggestions on how I could get there?

Thanks

Nigel,

One possibility is to take a Greyhound Bus (the train schedule didn't work out). There are buses leaving TO at 7 am and 8:30 arriving in Kitchener 9:20 and 10:15 am. The round trip student fair is about $29.

If you decide to take the bus, I will pick you up at the bus depot and then take you back in the afternoon.

There are a number of departures in the afternoon between 2:30-6-:30 arriving back in TO between 4:00-8:00 pm

@Nigel: We should start a group in the Toronto area.
Anyone else interested?

@CSingleton and darudude: What will be the subject of discussion at this weekends meeting?

Good question Vodka!

At this point, we do not have an agreed upon agenda, however at this first rendezvous I had hoped to accomplish some of the following:

? 1st priority - Determine the level of interest amongst the attendees of starting an official Arduino interest group . . . discussing possible meeting location, frequency, etc.

? 2nd priority - Exchange contact information (name, phone, E-mail, city) which would make communication a little bit easier than always going through the forum

? Perhaps have a little show and tell . . . if anyone happens to bring an Arduino project with them

? Talk about what kinds of Arduino projects we have done or are working on

? Talk about what kinds of projects are people hoping to do in the future?

? Discuss a little bit about our backgrounds (electrical, mechanical, programming or other?)

? Find out if there are areas where some of us would like to get help from others to solve a problem

? Exchange Arduino resource information (favourite web sites, suppliers, gurus, etc.)

Although much of the above could be accomplished on-line, meeting at least occasionally, face-to-face is a better way to build relationships, establish credibility and flesh out the 2D print based persona of a web forum only based group.

If we can accomplish half of the above items, we will have done well.

I like the Agenda, its fairly encompassing.

I think it would also help meet people in the area that would be interested in group projects.

I also would like to discuss the scope of the group: just a show and tell? or something more encompassing - tool sharing, group projects, design contests, etv.

I won't be able to make it. Mainly because im only 15 and my parents are weary of me going to Waterloo by myself. If we could have the next meeting a little closer to TO that would be awesome. If possible could you guys discuss this in this weekends meeting.

Thanks

Nigel

I would be open to alternating sites, if there is one available in Toronto.

I would also be willing to use an alternating location as it will help to draw people from a wider area.

If possible though it would be best if both sites were very close to the 401 to easily facilitate travel.

Example a Cambridge location (possibly my house which is 60 seconds off the hwy & 40 min from the airport) would make it easy for both TO and London people to attend.

A Mississauga location near Dixie or 427 if possible would help encourage Cambridge, KW, Guelph attendees . . . and perhaps one or two intrepid Londoners.

To those who received my earlier email. There was a typo. The room that is booked is room 608, not 604

There was a mix up. The library is closed till 11 AM today. I am currently in RCH 207, till 11:00 AM. Then I will be in room 608 from in the library from 11:00 till 1:00

Darudude,

Just on my way out the door

Just curious, how did the meeting go?

Nigel

Nigel and the gang et al,

Sorry to be so long in dashing off an update, but I have been on-site doing a project install for most of the week.

Three of us met on Saturday morning (Darudude, myself and a Marianne (TBC) from UoW engineering) for about 90 minutes.

It gave us a chance to talk about Arduinos, how we came to be involved with them, some discussion about our current Arduino projects, some suggestions regarding Arduino sources and a small bit of show and tell.

Amongst this small group there appears to be a definite interest in forming a more organized Arduino Interest Group, although based on the current schedules for the other two participants, we will likely not be able to meet again until May.

There is a possibility that we could meet elsewhere although the UoW did work out fairly well.

How about you Toronto area folks, when are you getting together?
Surely, you are not going to let Waterloo become the centre of the Canadian Arduino universe are you?

I am so in for a Kitchener/Waterloo group, I am a software engineer and live downtown kitchener, please let me know the next time people want to meet arround here ;D

I'm a UWaterloo student interested in meeting up too, this summer.

UW arch student, living in Cambridge. I would really like to get involved in some sort of an Arduino club. I have a few projects in mind that I plan to work on. Contact me if you're arranging anything in the near-ish future.

[Although I had originally sent this to Elizabeth as a private message, I have since figured out that it would be best to post the message on the open board as it might just help flush a few more Cambrridge, Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph or Brantford Arduionites out of the woodwork.]

Elizabeth,

Although, I have been playing around with Arduinos off and on for the past year . . . I am still a relative new Arduinoite as well. My background includes a fair bit of electronic hobby work, so the hardware end is easier for me than the programming end.

Having said that, a year ago I was trying to get an Arduino Interest Group started in this area; however the two or three other people that were interested were UoW coop students who were about to go out on their work terms so things never got off the ground beyond a couple of 1/2 hour introductory meetings.

I might be willing to meet with you and some of your class mates to talk about Arduinos and perhaps show some basic functionality. At this time, I work Monday-Thursday plus some Fridays; so my availability would either be weeknights, the weekend or possibly on a Friday.

As far as introductory books and tutorials I recommend:

Getting Started with Arduino by Massimo Banzi (one of the founding fathers of the Arduino)

The book can be ordered through Chapters or Amazon or from many of the internet based Arduino suppliers.

The other resource that I would highly recommend is:

The Complete Beginners Guide to the Arduino by Mike McRoberts
http://earthshinedesign.co.uk/ASKManual/
This is a free E-book that will lead you from flashing LED's and driving simple DC motors to creating simple sounds and monitoring basic sensors.

Hi everyone.
My name is Patrick, and I live in Ottawa. I was born and Raised in Waterloo. I work for two businesses:
electroniclessons.com and engineeringshock.com If there are any grounds out there that are looking for anything specific, or perhaps a bulk order of arduino modules of any kind, we can get them. Right now, we are uploading new ebay listings for arduino. For buy-it-now parts, go to electroniclessons.com. Units purchased from there will ship out from my home in Ottawa. Inquiries about Bulk orders of ANYTHING can be done at engineeringshock.com. We can supply awesome deals in bulk if there are groups out there that want to band together for a large order. If we can help in any way, please let us know. We are a hobby and engineering based group of people, and we are just starting up. Some of our product/project videos can be found by searching "patrickikis" on youtube.
Thanks everyone!

Sincerely,
Patrick

Hi everyone!
I am looking for somebody with an experience in programming
Arduino RB-Ard products for the robot's prototype.
Do you have anybody in mind?
Thanks!