Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Converting integers to strings  (Read 232 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Okay, so I've done basic java programming before, and in java you can convert an integer to a string using the .toString() function.
Is there any arduino language equivalent? Here's the specific program I'm trying to write. The code works, but when I print out integers that I think I've converted to strings in the serial monitor, I don't get the number I intended to print. Instead, I get a completely different number. For example, if I input '1' the serial monitor will output 49. If I input '2' the serial monitor will output 50. If I input 'd' the serial monitor will output 100. Why?

int onPin; //pin that's currently on

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communication:
  Serial.begin(9600);
   // initialize the LED pins:
      for (int thisPin = 11; thisPin < 14; thisPin++) {
        pinMode(thisPin, OUTPUT);
      }
}

void loop() {
  // read the sensor:
  if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    int input = Serial.read();

digitalWrite(onPin, LOW);

if (input  == '1') {digitalWrite(11, HIGH); onPin = 11;}
    if (input == '2') {digitalWrite(12, HIGH); onPin = 12;}
    if (input == '3') {digitalWrite(13, HIGH); onPin = 13;}
    String output = String(input); //this is my attempt at converting an integer to a string
    Serial.println(output); //when I print stuff out, I don't get the number I intend to get (when I print out 1, I get 49)

}

}

Salem, Oregon
Friends don't let friends use Strings
View Profile

Is there any arduino language equivalent?

See the itoa() function (see http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/PrintingNumbers)

Here's the specific program I'm trying to write. The code works, but when I print out integers that I think I've converted to strings in the serial monitor, I don't get the number I intended to print. Instead, I get a completely different number. For example, if I input '1' the serial monitor will output 49. If I input '2' the serial monitor will output 50. If I input 'd' the serial monitor will output 100. Why?

Looks like you're printing the ASCII value of the character, not the character itself.  I assume you're using 1.0? 

Try something like

Code:
Serial.write(output);

I hope this helps,

Brad.

West Des Moines, Iowa USA
View Profile

Or you can roll your own. Here's my routine to convert an unsigned int to a NUL-terminated string:

Code:
char *u2s(char *b,unsigned x)
{  unsigned t = x;                     /* Working copy of value to convert    */

do ++b; while (t /= 10);            /* Find number of digits to be output  */
   *b = '\0';                          /* Output terminating NUL character    */
   do *--b = x % 10 | '0';             /* Output digits low-order first       */
      while (x /= 10);                 /* Until all digits are in the buffer  */
   return b;                           /* Return pointer to digit string      */
}                                      /*  end: i2s()                         */

It's less than a third the advertized size of the Arduino itoa() function, and is used the same way.

Edit: shortened code (to 158 bytes)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:30:51 am by Morris Dovey » Logged

There's always a better way!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: