Go Down

Topic: IDE-1.0 IS BUGGY! (Read 831 times) previous topic - next topic

andreotti09

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I only just installed the new IDE and it takes twice as long to compile, probably something to do with the progress bar, and why the file extension change? Development should mean things get better as they go in my book, just because java is multi platform does not mean it's good, there are other multi platform options which are quicker, I think it would be much easier to pick a plugin compatible multi platform IDE and start developing the plugin rather than forcing 1 option that people are clearly not happy with on everybody who doesn't know how to use a makefile.
Repetition Is Key For Learning

James C4S

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

It isn't.

I only just installed the new IDE and it takes twice as long to compile, probably something to do with the progress bar

Huh?  What does "the progress bar" have to do with anything?

and why the file extension change?

So that when some people click on a PDE file, their computers don't launch Processing.

just because java is multi platform does not mean it's good, there are other multi platform options which are quicker, I think it would be much easier to pick a plugin compatible multi platform IDE and start developing the plugin rather than forcing 1 option that people are clearly not happy with on everybody who doesn't know how to use a makefile.

Ok?  I realize English isn't your first language, from this ridiculous run-on, so I'm not sure how to respond. 
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

andreotti09

As for the processing thing, I haven't used it but those some people should learn how to associate files correctly then it wouldn't happen. does the progress bar not have to run a function to work out how far along it is or at least some kind of script, also I've been reading around IDE's for using the Arduino libraries with and from what I've seen there are a lot people which are unhappy with the Arduino IDE due to it being so boxed off and streamlined, fair enough I understand it's for portability over platforms and straight forward usability but not everyone likes it because of these things as java is slow as it is, if you think I am wrong about the speed then you should try installing version 0023 and compile a test program then in comparison upload the same test program in the latest version and see if you get the same results as I did "the new one is slower", yes this is my native language, did I stutter. :smiley-roll:

James C4S

As for the processing thing, I haven't used it but those some people should learn how to associate files correctly then it wouldn't happen.

If you had used Processing you would understand that both the Arduino IDE pre-1.0 and Processing used PDE as their extension.  So teaching people to associate files wouldn't matter.  Some people have both installed and some projects used both.  Using the same extension for both created confusion.

does the progress bar not have to run a function to work out how far along it is or at least some kind of script

I really can't understand what you are trying to say.

fair enough I understand it's for portability over platforms and straight forward usability but not everyone likes it because of these things as java is slow as it is

The IDE needs a lot of work.  However, it also bundles together many different projects worth of utilities into a single user interface.  You are perfectly capable of moving away from the IDE, taking the arduino core files, and compiling in nearly any environment you want.  Personally I use Eclipse.  Not because of any particular advantage, except that I work in other languages / environments (web, desktop, embedded) and it is nice to have a unified work flow.

This is an area where open source can help the Arduino project.  The lack of improvement to the IDE is simply because nobody has had the resources to improve it. 

if you think I am wrong about the speed then you should try installing version 0023 and compile a test program then in comparison upload the same test program in the latest version and see if you get the same results as I did "the new one is slower"

Again, I can't find anything coherent in these fragments.

yes this is my native language, did I stutter. :smiley-roll:

Your lack of basic grammar makes it nearly impossible to understand what you are saying.  For english speakers it is possible to work out your comments.  For non-english speakers, of which there are many on this forum, it is very difficult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-on_sentence
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

zoomkat

I've got a 7 year old xp laptop and the 1.0 IDE works reasonably well for me.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

rtadams89

I started vith version 1 of the IDE, so I can't compare it to the past version. With that said, I have several sketchs that max out the flash size of the ATMEga328 chip (and therefore would presumably take longer to compile) and still compile in under 30 seconds. The "Blink" example can compile and be uploaded in about 5 seconds.

markB

and why the file extension change?

I think you will find a setting under preferences (from memory) that 'changes to .ino'.

This may resolve this situation you have.

Personally I haven't found it slower, but you can still download and use ver 023.
As I understand some code needs changing because they have changed some keywords in (Wiring.h ???).
I found it when trying to load an old sketch that worked in previosu versions, using Ver 1.0 into my Nunchuk controller Robot.

In the end I went back to 022.

Mark

andreotti09

Granted, I have some bad or lazy grammar habits but I can assure you I was born in the UK and have lived here my whole life, I think you are referring to my lack of comma's and periods and replacing them with connectives such as "and" or "but" and the odd spelling mistake, never the less, "A man who never made a mistake never made anything". You understood what I meant, I see people writing worse grammar and their concepts are understood perfectly well. We are not here to pick at spelling mistakes, we are here to voice our opinions or give and receive help. Cheers for clearing up the file extension processing question, I have also been using eclipse and have found it better to get on with and a nicer interface, apart from the fact that it compiles, uploads and runs perfectly but complains about "Symbol 'Serial' could not be resolved" and "Method 'begin' could not be resolved". It's like there is a file or something missing to tell it the available words, other than that it is good to work with.

Go Up