Go Down

Topic: Understanding Arduino UNO (Read 5070 times) previous topic - next topic

ramistar

Hi everyone!

I've discovered Arduino recently, and when I was searching information about it, I've found a lot of tutorials and documents explaining how to use Arduino and other components connected to it. I also have found the schematics and EAGLE files.

My problem is that I would like to understand the Arduino UNO hardware design but, by the moment, I couldn't found any document or tutorial that explains it; I mean how the hardware design was being designed, the reasons to use some specific microcontrollers (or components) and not others, what are the main differents parts in a board and how to connect those parts to each others.

Maybe these things could be something obviously to the most of the people here, but not for me...  :~

I want to understand the design of Arduino ONE before to start working whit it... For me that's an important goal; the first step to the reappropriation of the machines by the users.

I hope to have explained well. Sorry about my English...

Thanks for all to the comunity!

Rami

CrossRoads

There is not much to understand.
You have the Atmel microcontroller,all of its details are available at www.atmel.com

You have a USB interface adapter to connect USB to the serial port.

You have a couple of voltage regulators.

You have a voltage comparator that selects the USB source for power if the external power is too low.

Couple of indicator lights. Connectors.

That's about it.  Read the datasheet to understand what the microcontroller can do: memory, A/D, PWM output, digital I/O, interrupts.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads, I also would like to see "printable" hardware specs for the Uno. Please tell me, where can i get the "datasheet" you referred to? It sounds like it would be helpful - thanks!

CrossRoads

Review the schematic here.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

The ATMega328 data sheet is at www.atmel.com
http://www.atmel.com/devices/ATMEGA328P.aspx
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

iyahdub

any commercially available component (uC's or just analog electronic ones) datasheets are available online in many places. just search for it in your search motor of your preference( Google, Yahoo, etc etc). This might not be true if its proprietary  ones, in which case might or might not be available ( example, the full datasheet of the chip used in Raspeberry Pi).
10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

Go Up